Dead Head / Return style regulator

Guest 614Streets

Guest 614Streets
Guys I am running a blown 355. Today I got back from summit with a bunch of goodies. One of the things I picked up was a billet regulator. This regulator is a dead head style although I wanted to have a return line. So my question is , would it be more benifical to return the dead head unit and obtain an return line style regulator? This is on a Carbureted engine. The counter guy at summit reccommended the unit and I picked it up , but now Im wondering if I made the right choice? Also the fuel system details are a 21 gallon steel tank with a welded jegster fuel sump , a billet electric pump/filter , 1/2 hard line , to regulator , to dual 1405 edelbrock 600's. Im going to utilize a relay with the system as well. Thanks-

Guest Ubilam
If this is going to be a street/strip car u might be more interested in a bybass/return style regulator, it is alot easier on the pump allowing it to run cooler on those days u go cruising. tongue.gif

All the information I obtained when building the fuel system for my stang was that if you're going to run a high flow fuel pump on the street, you need a return line.

You dont mention what fuel pump you're using. Some pumps like the BG H/R 220 (the one on my mustang) dont have a internal relief valve/regulator, and require a return line or they'll burn up with a quickness.

Guest 614Streets

The pump is a Summit 140 gph and 18 psi. The dead head style is a regulator that simply restricts/opens the fuel volume but has no relife , as in the return line set up , it has an extra feature that sends unused fuel back to the tank via another line and reduces the pump having to constantly fight the regulator when the pumped gas isnt needed by the engine.

I figured Id get a by pass regulator for better pump life. I could get a volt box and stick with a dead head. It sounds like I should just get a return regulator. Thats the side I was leaning.