Torque wrench.

Akula

I need to redo the brakes in the bug (real bug, not a new beetle). Anyway, the rear hub nuts require 200 foot LBS of torque. I don't have a wrench that goes up that high, does anyone know if autozone or whoever has one?

Originally posted by Akula:

I need to redo the brakes in the bug (real bug, not a new beetle). Anyway, the rear hub nuts require 200 foot LBS of torque. I don't have a wrench that goes up that high, does anyone know if autozone or whoever has one?

Mine goes to 150. If it was me, I would just torque as high as you can, then give it another little nudge. Even at 80 ft/lbs, it should be fine, because you also stake the nut dont you?

Well, just thought I would give my .02, but good luck getting a wrench, you can use mine if you want.

I have access to one that goes to 150 (probably the same model) but I wanted to follow the directions (what the hell am I saying).

Yes you do put a split pin in after you tighten it. Thanks for the offer.

I know, WTF. But I guess it is because everything on the old beetles could take a direct hit from an airstrike. The way I test tightness on most stuff in my car is to drag the car around by the wrench.

are you sure that isn't inch pound instead of foot pound? I know that when we did my buddy's CAM swap, it said like 120 lbs of torque for the valve covers, but that was inch pound and really needed like 22 ft lb or what not... just figured I'd let you know so you don't make the same mistake

Originally posted by Josh Miller:

are you sure that isn't inch pound instead of foot pound? I know that when we did my buddy's CAM swap, it said like 120 lbs of torque for the valve covers, but that was inch pound and really needed like 22 ft lb or what not... just figured I'd let you know so you don't make the same mistake

Hub nuts....for some reason, I'm sure hub nuts require a little more than 200 inch/lbs. smile.gif When I had to replace the half shaft on my CRX (imagine that :rolleyes: ), we couldn't get the damn nut off even with a long pipe used as a breaker bar.

Instead, had to go to the shop my roomate's dad worked at, and he had to break out the big expensive impact w/ the huge compressor behind it to break that mo'fo' free. Hub nuts are supposed to be tight!

This isn't the first time I have had to work on my VW. Yes I am sure it is Foot Pounds.

When I work on it I have a "special" breaker bar I use. It is a 12' antenna pole. Works great.