Fuel pump needed 600 rwhp.

DTM Brian

I already have 42 pound injectors to replace my 36#'s For my combo, 36's are good for 540 rwhp and the 42's are good for 620 rwhp. I am shooting for 600 rwhp and 670 torque. How much of a fuel pump do I need for this? With a new intake and 13 psi. I should be there.

Personally, I wouldnt use an intank, unless it came with a new pickup/return (like the ford motorsport 190lph does).

The stock intank pickup is only 3/8". Just attaching a high flow pump to the stock pickup could cause problems with a forced induction/600+ hp combo.

I would (I did) use a cartech intank pickup with -8an pickup and -6an return and a exterior pump (paxton/holley, etc.).

Are you upgrading the fuel lines as well? You can get a 25' coil of aluminum -8 hardline for about $20. If you use stainless steel fittings instead of the blue/red colored aluminum fittings, you'll save a shitload.

You could also run twin in tank walbro 255 HO pumps, like these:

http://www.columbusracing.com/pics/jeff/VR4pics/fuelpump5.jpg

http://www.columbusracing.com/pics/jeff/VR4pics/fuelpump2.jpg

Two -6 lines Tee into one main -10 feed line to the rails, a -8 would be plenty large though. At the rails the -10 main feed Tee's off into two seperate -6 lines again to feed both rails in parallel, not series like stock setups. A -8 is used for the return with a -8 bulkhead fitting drilled into the top of the tank. You would not have any problem with moving enough fuel with these, I believe we moved 2 gallons every 51 seconds in an unloaded flow test. :eek:

In tank pumps last longer in a street car since they stay cooler. You will have to do a bit of fab work to make a good mount for them, but it's not that bad, the 255 HO's use their own pickup also as you can see in the second pic, but you will need to use a separate bulkhead fitting for the return line since I am sure the stock return will be too small.

Originally posted by BlackBird:

here's a queestion. How many of you bought a fuel pump from some company, like BBK or FRPP, etc, only to find that its not that companies pump, but a Walbro?

From what I've found there are

only two intank manufacturers.

Bosch and Walbro, they're just

marketed under different names.

From my understanding,

the Bosch is a higher

quality pump.

[ 31 July 2002, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Blupastu TSi ]

Yes, many are just repackaged, notice the BBK package in the background of the second pic? We picked those up at Jegs for pretty cheap actually, they are really the Walbro 255 HO's. I don't remember the actual BBK part # though, but I could probably dig it up in Jeff's garage...

One good thing about twin pumps, if one dies, you still have another to make it home on. We actually had the car running on only 1 pump for a while on low boost, because it was creating too much fuel pressure at the rails with both pumps, until we could get the return line fixed.

I think that Bosch is a little bit better pump, but so far the Walbro's have seemed great, the Bosch is more expensive though I believe, and I don't think that they are as small as the Walbro pumps, making it a bit more difficult to fit 2 in one tank.

[ 02 August 2002, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Renner ]