Tire question

Guest turbojc

Guest turbojc

I'm curently looking for tires for the stealth and need some info & opinions.

First; I don't want to spend more than

$175 a tire. Also I nead somthing that is good on wet and dry pavement that lasts more than 10K.

The stock tire sise is 245/45ZR/17. But I am also thinking of putting 18" wheels under the car, with 245/40ZR/18 tires. Has enyone had experance with 18" Wheels and tires? I'm wondering

What the pros&cons are with going to a 18" wheel

verses the stock 17" Wheel.

Right now I'm curently looking at Theses: Dunlop SP Sport 9000, and Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP.

As for the 18's; Goodyear Eagle F1 65D3.

Eny info would be Helpfull. Thanks JC

Also look at the BFG G-Force KDW2. Nice rain tire, great dry traction and they seem to be lasting a while. They should be under $150 in that 17" size. The KDW2 has a nice agressive-looking tread pattern also.

Cons of an 18" wheel are going to be stiffer ride (which could also be a "pro", if you view stiffer ride as better road feel), a little less launching traction and more likely chance of bending a rim on a pothole. Pros are going to be better looks, and sharper turn in response. Depending on tires, your max lateral g's may go up also.

The primary reason to go with larger rims, IMO is so that you can fit larger brakes underneath them.

I'm too lazy to do it right now, but if you didn't get your choices from www.tirerack.com, I'd suggest going there and having a look around. They have a tire decision guide, you tell them what your looking for in a tire and they'll tell you what they think fits your wants and you can compare them, etc. It's the site I always use and they led me to get the tires that are on my car right now, so they're a good resource in my book.

Originally posted by No Longer N/A Cobra:

I'm too lazy to do it right now, but if you didn't get your choices from www.tirerack.com, I'd suggest going there and having a look around. They have a tire decision guide, you tell them what your looking for in a tire and they'll tell you what they think fits your wants and you can compare them, etc. It's the site I always use and they led me to get the tires that are on my car right now, so they're a good resource in my book.

also the nice thing is u can read what other people opinionated about the tire.

maybe this is "too cheap" for you but for my 7 i'm getting the yokohama ES100's a new tire that i've heard good things about.

Get the Brigestone S03,s probably the best tire out there for the $$,Toyo,s T1s are great too because there really light but are hard to get and will be $250 for a 18.

Go with the 18 inch combo,it looks the tits and is the only way to go on a big car ,I did mine on my 7 and I,m real happy,also its functional for maximum contact patch when I go single, haha :D . C.

I have Bridgestone Potenzas and really like them. I have 275/17 up front and 285's in the back. They do really well in the rain also,have lasted a while and still have a lot of tread.. and I think they look really good too. -->>> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/images/bridgestone/bs_re730.jpg

I had the Dunlop 9000s and liked them, though I'm not sure if they were as good in the rain as the Potenzas..

I've heard a bunch of good things about the SZ50s but they are a smaller tire than Dunlop and Bridgestones. A friend has 285 SZ50s and they are smaller than my 275s.. That's the only reason I didnt get them..