Thermostat problem....

Guest SaleenSC302

Guest SaleenSC302

Hey, what's up. I just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas as to what the hell is wrong with this engine. It's a chrysler 2.5 liter turbo in a 1990 dodge caravan. The thermostat keeps crapping out on me. I've replaced it probably 5 times. Each time with a different brand. I've used the thermostat from NAPA, autozone, and some other ones. This has all been within the last year. It works for a month or so, and then all of the sudden, it craps out and the engine temp goes way high. I was thinking maybe I need an OEM thermostat, but that shouldn't be the case. All the aftermarket ones should work just as good. I know that the thermostats work because of a cylinder full of wax that heats up, melts, and then pushes a rod to open the valve. I've thought about the internal workings of the thermostat, but it seems retarded that this has happend numerous times. Am I totally missing something, or does anyone have any ideas about this problem? Thanks.

Adam

Seen em jam with stop leak. I know that you would never use stop leak because it plugs up radiators, heater cores and such. But has someone else in the past, say a previous owner done that.

And you need to test the stat, take a pan of water, and a themometer that will go to 250 degrees. Put the stat in the pan with the water, and heat the water, when the water reaches the stat opening temp, it should open (180 to 220) it will be stamped on the stat some place. If it opens then you have a different problem. I would say either a clapsing hose, or a partly clogged radiator.

your getting air in the cooling system is there a little valve on the water outlet? if its stuck or not there you need to idle the car with radiator cap off and add coolant a little at a time untill it starts to flow over. put the cap on let it get warm and then cool down open the cap and satrt over do it a few times should get all the air out it may take a while so don't get discouraged. also check to make sure your radiator cooling fan is working you may want to check it first.