Electronics whiz needed.

desperado

Having some background in electronics, I know this can be done. But I can't pull this off myself.

Here's my idea.

These days there is a little black box for everything, turbo timers, boost controllers, delay boxes, nitrous progressive controllers, and the list goes on.

So how about a multi stage progressive nitrous controller and ignition system that had accelrometers in it for traction control.

I see these Traction controls on E-bay that look like a 6AL MSD box, and assume that the theory is they are looking at rapid changes in RPM and consider that to be tire spin and retard timing. Which of course will limit power and control tire spin.

So I want to take this further, accelrometers will sence changes in forward motion, accelration basically. If you spray, especially alot, traction is difficult at times to achive. And alot of spray requires timing to be retarded anyhow. This is why I say put the ignition system in the controller box. If it's microprocessor controlled, it can be tuned with a laptop for the base line timing, timing curve without spray, degrees of retard per stage of spray so if you start out spraying a 100 shot and stage 3 is a 200 and you deside to rejet to 300 the controller can be changed.

So far this all exists, MSD can do all this stuff.

But, if you link not only the ignition system in but the acclerometers, then you can also control the stages of nitrous progressively to eliminate wheel spin. Basically the software would continually look for changes in RPM, throttle position and accleration. If there was an extreem change in RPM without the accleration changing to a degree similar to the RPM change it would retard timing, or if spraying, would progressively lessen the spray, or eliminate it untill the tire spin has ceased. And this would all happen while the driver was still pedal to the floor.

If there are some devry guys in here, this would be a kickass senior project to undertake.

There is obviously a market for something like this, with the import craze, front wheel drive cars are not great with traction, adding a 250 shot to a FWD car and traction is non existant.

RWD cars would benefit from this greatly too, A top notch lower end motor, with conservative fuel curve for around town ecomony and 600 HP of spray that wouldn't just melt the tires.

Yes, it's a tall order, but quite possible, it's just finding the right person to get it together and working.

Anyone up to the challenge?

IMHO, the easiest way is to use the accelerometer to sense "peaks" and this could be sent through a control box to reduce spray output, boost or throttle, whichever is prefered.

I have worked on just such an item already, albeit PC based and for an industrial environment. It is for a steel mill and it senses roll to steel sheet slip and reduces mill speed until the slip or "surging" stops. Basically an auto pilot for the speed since the mill operators kept breaking coils of steel via overspeed.

Originally posted by Desperado:

[QB] Having some background in electronics, I know this can be done. But I can't pull this off myself.

Here's my idea.

These days there is a little black box for everything, turbo timers, boost controllers, delay boxes, nitrous progressive controllers, and the list goes on.

So how about a multi stage progressive nitrous controller and ignition system that had accelrometers in it for traction control.

I have wondered how this could be done before. When I was looking around for information on this several years ago, I could not find any suitable information available. It would definitely be a good product to capitalize on!

Greg

Guest nevarmore

I've used accelerometers in physics labs before. They're really simple, the higher (or lower cant remember) the current the more acceleration there is.

Check mouser.com or one of the other big electronics dealers, perhaps a science site to see what they cost. You might even be able to rip one from a newer car with airbags, those are often triggered with accelerometers.

Wire the accelerometer to a controller such that if there is a voltage drop it will cut power to the nitrous solenoid/ignition/fuel pump. Depending on the tolerances a simple relay might work. This would definately work as a saftey system, if not as the precision one you describe, when you stop suddenly (crash) or really get on the brakes there would be a significant change in the signal given by the accelerometer.

You could actually go a bit more involved and get a voltage output accelerometer. The increase in voltage due to higher acceleration levels would adjust the amount of spray injected. Just connect the output to the gate of a transistor and viola! (little bit more involved than that but you get the basic idea)