Do Neons have a problem w/ piston slap??

Nitrousbird

Alright, sadly, my g/f drives a 2000 Neon. 4-door, only a couple of options, base motor and 3-speed auto (did you guys know the Neon is the only production can still made w/ a 3-speed auto....HOW GAY).

Anyway, on a cold startup, the thing always knocks. Not insanely loudly, but enough to notice. It goes away once it warms up.

I asked if it did it in the summer, she said no. She always has her oil changed "professionally" (cough cough), so god knows what oil is in there.

The car runs fine....sure, turtles can outrun the stupid thing, but it runs fine. My two guesses are either:

1: Neons have a known piston-slap or other cold-start motor related noise issure

2: Too thick of oil being run in cold weather.

Dunno, just seeing if this is a common problem. Her car has about 60k on the clock, so it isn't under warranty. Stupid Neon.

change the oil to 5-30 or 5-20 the car prolly has 10-30,40 in it thats what most places use. you may also want to check and see if it has a valve lash adjustment if it has one it needs done every 30,000 miles or so the ticking could come from that too. a friend of mine has a 90's neon almost 200,000 on it makes no noise at startup

HTH

I might use 0W30. Mitsubishi/Chrystler released a tsb saying that in climates with extremely low temperatures, 0w30 should be used as a replacement oil for 10w30.

[ 06 December 2002, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Jasons TSi ]