Shadow Turbo Help

tandm

I don't have a turbo on my beater, but I was wondering how much it would cost to toss one on there. It's a 1990 2.2L just like some of the the DSMs I've seen, so I'm sure somebody knows something, like if I could put a used DSM turbo on there. Thanks guys smile.gif

The laser he has is old. It was a copy of the Daytona I believe so that is why it had the 2.2L in it. The 90-94 Laser's had the 2.0L turbo in it.

And like I said I don't think it is as easy as just slapping a turbo on it. You would need oil lines, lower compression, and a lot of stuff would have to be moved rerouted.

Guest Computerguy5
Originally posted by Stock LSooooNE:

ComputerGuy5 has an 86' Laser with a 2.2 Turbo 1 in it. That's the only reason I thought that the DSMs may have had the 2.2L in them.

The 84-86 Laser and the DSM lasers were NOT the same car... Just as GRN96WS6 said, it was a copy of the G-Body Daytona...

As for turbo-ing your shadow... Unless you wanna swap everything from the axles up, you may as well forget it... The non-turbo powerplants were purposely not designed to hold the power a turbo would add... If you wanted a turbo, grab:

a turo engine (preferably a common block 2.2/2.5L)

a turbo transmission (A555 or A568 for a 5spd, or an A413 for an auto)

turbo axles (yes, even the axles were rated at different strengths and the non-turbo axles really can't handle that power)

and of course, all the other normal pieces you would need to add a turbo, and swap it all in...

Of course the usual result of someone being told all that is they either go out and buy a turbo car, or they go to work on making their N/A develop a bit more power than stock...

Hope that helps, sorry about the disappointment...

[ 07 August 2002, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Computerguy5 ]

Guest Computerguy5
Originally posted by GRN96WS6:

It's just not that easy or I don't think it is. You would probably need to lower the compression a lil among other things.

And I think the 2.2L Turbo was in the minivan?

Not even in a DSM those are 2.0L

That little 2.2L and the bit more elite 2.5L engine was in MANY of Chrysler's FWD cars and vans, along with the ever popular Mitsubishi 3.0L V6...

Guest Computerguy5

By the way, if you ever go looking, turbo shadows, 87-91 turbo daytonas, and a few misc. other turbo FWD Mopars all have a raised section in the hood in front of the driver... thats how you can tell it is a stock turbo from external appearance... you might be able to see mine in the pic (obviously the shadow bulges aren't that big due to space constraints, but the concept is the same...)

|

\/

Well the only reason I have my Shadow is bc I found a woman selling one in decent shape with 93000 miles for $150 :D I really didn't care if it was turbo or not, other than the fact that it could get me where I needed to go and I would save mileage and the huge gas prices I payed for the T/A.

Guest Computerguy5
Well, they definately are good for that... Supposing I ever get this O2 sensor replaced and my cat unclogged I should be getting between 30-35 avg. mpg... As is I'm sitting at a lowly 19 :(

Guest Computerguy5

Yeah, well if you get either a daytona IROC R/T or a spirit R/T, you'd better be prepared to make a regular habit of changing the head and doing it right... Lotus designed an incredible head, unfortunately, Chrysler messed it up (installing steel plugs in an aluminum head, for one) and they liked to crack if not cared for properly (such as replacing those steel plugs with aluminum ones...)

Personally I'm working on putting a Lotus 16V head from the Iroc RT/Spirit RT onto my 2.5L commonblock (the block for that head was a 2.2L commonblock, so it is a boltup as far as the block is concerned... gotta get new pistons, recalibrate the ECU, and a few misc. other things too)... Unfortunately those heads run near $3K each... the price I pay for bragging rights... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by BADASSKYLARK:

ahhh yes dodge spirit r/t i want one too 224hp lotus head engine low 14s stock,they used the same engine also in the iroc r/t. But i always like the whole sleper thing going also on the omni glhs.

And what exactly is more of a sleeper than a tiny little 4 door family k-car? tongue.gif