Anyone Ever Done A Custom I/C Install?

Mr. Jones

While I've always wanted a complete "bolt-up" FMIC Kit..they are generally $900.00+

I spend alot of time on dsmtrader/thepartstrader searching for a good used one thats complete.

Now..also on Ebay/Various sources I might be able to acquire a decent core/endtanks..but have dreaded the idea of making up the custom I/C piping..ect. ESP. When I'd have to rent/borrow someone's welder ect. ect.

Anyone have experience in this area..?

[ 07 August 2002, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: The TSi U Fear ]

Experience...no, but it's not too difficult of a job. If you come across a good core at a good price, then go for it. You can piece together the piping from RRE or other vendors. The pipes may not look as pretty as a kit built for your car, but it'll get the job done. Besides a little welding and paint/powdercoat can do wonders.

Jamie

looks are 100% dead ..dead last on my list jamie

(you should know this by now) LOL.

But..what of the task of hanging said I/C..cutting/ect. It would all be a guessing game.

Although you could look to a similiar sized core and see how they hang it I guess.

I have seen alot of people concoct I/C piping from misc bends & silicone couplersect.

oh the agony!

I know its not a fmic, but the mkiv smic wasnt too bad. I used the supra turbo->IC->throttlebody piping, and fab'ed up piping for my talon with very little trouble. I DO suggest using mkiv piping if you know someone whose upgraded, its 2.5-3" in some places. With some radiator hose (has to be fiberglas braided radiator hose or silicone ($$$)) it was cake.

I have done that kind of work with steel pipe, pre-made mandrel bends. Here are a few pics for example of how it turns out(all the black painted pipe in the pics).

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/160000-160999/160293_2_full.jpg

The 3" black pipe on the left side in this one looks so funny because it actually goes into the fender well just before that rubber elbow up top, then down to the turbo, to keep from having to make any sharp bends.

One nice thing about steel is that you can use an arc welder and still do a pretty nice job. You can also take steel plates of varying thickness to make flanges and stuff, just like the blowoff valve flange in the second pic.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/160000-160999/160293_4_full.jpg

You can also see the Venturi style 4" to 3.5" step down right after the cone. That is also steel pipe, it had just been bead blasted and was getting test fit before it's final paint. Those were two seperate pieces of pipe, there is actually a weld right where 3.5" steps up, but you can barely see it. ;)

It is not real difficult, but it will not look as pretty as the polished aluminum tig welded ones. So if you get an intercooler with end tanks already welded on, cutting and welding up the pipeing to run to and from it wouldn't be too bad.

Almost all of that pipe was purchased from Napa as pre-shaped mandrel bends.

WOW :eek:

Very nice looking brent.

I guess with enough difernt combinations in bends..and enough silicone couplers..

Anything would be possible.

Guess I'll try to take the shortest route possible too.

Another issue is hanging..and where/how/how much to cut the bumper support on our cars.

Thanks much for all the input everyone!