Broke trany?

Guest IntegraGSR

Guest IntegraGSR

I noticed yesterday that when I tried to downshift into 2nd, it made a very light grinding sound. Never had ANY problems before. So, I drove it home.

Today, I get back in it and now it's making that grinding even downshifting into 3rd.

I reluctantly meet a friend somewhere, hoping it isn't going to explode or something.. As I'm driving back home, I can't get the damn thing into second.. or third, or fourth, etc. So, I pull over and eventually it goes into gear.

It's been at home ever since. It won't even go into gear now. Any suggestions/comments?

Guest 614Streets

Yup they way to see if the clutch is out of adjustment is to get it in gear on a level surface in front of your house /driveway. Push in the clutch and start it up. If the car moves/creeps ever so slightly then the clutch needs adjusted as it is still engaged.

Otherwise its internal transmission or a bent shift fork.

Guest IntegraGSR

It couldn't be the clutch going bad itself, could it?

My friends clutch just went bad, and it seems I'm having a lot of the same problems he was having.

I'm able to put it into gear when the car is turned off, but not with the car turned on.

And the clutch is making odd noises when I press it in, then release it. A squeek.. then another dull squeek. It hasn't done that before.

Thanks!

Guest IntegraGSR

That helps. I definately think it is the clutch. It won't go into gear when it's turned on.. but if I put it in gear, THEN turn it on.. it makes a strange sound when I try and drive it. Same whiny sound when power steering is lost.

Thanks!

Guest IntegraGSR

Yeah, it's a hydraulic clutch.

I can't really drive it now. When the car is turned on, and I press in the clutch, the gears grind when I try to put it in reverse. Otherwise, I can't put it into gear with the car on.

When I try, it makes that annoying hissing/whiny sound.

I'm not about to try and drive it.. I think I'll have it towed somewhere tomorrow, and hopefully keep my front bumper in tact in the process.

Thanks for the help

Bleed and adjust the clutch pedal first. It is easy and can be done with the help of a friend. It sounds like your clutch is not totally dis-engaging when you depress the pedal, this happens as clutches wear out, and it would cause all of the symptoms you described. If it isn't slipping, it most likely just needs to be bled and adjusted first. How far off the floor does it first engage? How much free play do you have at the top of the pedals motion? If it engages very close to the floor, and you have a ton of free play at the top of the throw, it definitely needs adjusted and/or bled. Even if the clutch is a little worn out, this should at least help you be able to drive it someplace to get worked on without destroying your synchros.

Guest IntegraGSR

I went ahead and had it towed.

The place said it was the clutch, and it should be fixed and ready to drive tomorrow afternoon. Aaanndd.. it's only going to cost $1,000. I'm not sure if this is NORMAL, but christ almighty, I might as well overnight a racing clutch and a Jun lightened flywheel in the process.

Thanks for all the help!