any contour owners? Ford guys?

HotCarl

ok, having a slight prob. with a daily driver. It's over heating (or appears to be gauge is pegged out) even though there is more than enough coolant in it. we are guessing it is the thermostat that is either malfunctioning and/or stuck closed (<this sometimes happens with dsm's).

My question, is it possible that the temp. GAUGE is broken, sensor, or thermostat itself. If anyone has any online manuals, forums, sites, or knows themselves your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys.

-ryan

vehicle= '00, contour SE, 2.0liter 4banger

Is it always stuck in the same position? Is it pegged hiot when you start the car, even though it is 30 degrees outside? If so, then you win a broken gauge. If the needle moves, ever, then most likely you have another problem. My guess is thermostat or pressure cap. Gauges seldoom go bad.

One way to check the fan is to start the car and turn on the AC. A cooling fan should run with the AC on, then you have ruled out that particular fan (some cars have 2 fans, lo and hi) and if you have 2 fans and the temp guage goes down with the air on, replace the other fan or relay(on ford its a multifunction relay-not cheap). As the fan is running, feel the air temp flowing from it. If it is outside air temp or colder, it may be a stat or water pump. if it is hot, then it is a cooling fan problem with the other fan (if applicable)or the circuit there-in. (fan or relay as described above)

Had a similar prob with my wife's Contour about a year or so ago. By the time it was all said and done, they ended up replacing the fan relay and fuse. Make sure you check the fuse under the hood. When mine blew, it broke down low so that it had to be removed to be able to determine that it was definately gone. Also, that particular fuse is bolted to the fuse block. You'll have to loosen the fuse block to get to the bottom and loosen the appropriate fuse.