Coolant Problem With My 1991 Ford Probe LX

Wease

I seem to be losing coolant in my 1991 Ford Probe LX with the 3.0 V6. If I remember corretly, Ford did have problems with the head gaskets on the early 3.0 and 3.8 engines. I'm pretty sure I'm not leaking it anywhere (no pools underneath the car), so I'm thinking possible head gasket? :confused: Basically I want to know all ways I can lose coolant out of my engine. I'm thinking there are only two; it leaks out or you burn it. If I am indeed burning it, I'm not noticing any discoloration of the exhaust (which would indicate burning coolant), but who knows.

So if it is indeed a head gasket, what are the dangers of driving with a bad one? I'm guessing as long as I keep an eye on how much coolant is in there (basically enough so that I don't overheat), I'll be fine for a while. Changing the head gasket(s) in my daily driver is not something I want to attempt right now. ;)

Any thoughts on why I might be losing coolant, how I can tell which way I am losing it, a solution and/or if I'm still OK to drive the car as is? How hard is it to change out the gaskets? :confused:

CHECK YOUR OIL!!!!! If it is foamy and white, well......you have coolant in your oil = very bad. Good way to take out your motor there Sean, bad bad bad!

Also, burning coolant would cause white "gases" to come out of your exhaust.

Head gasket....dunno, not sure how hard it would be on that car. I assume it is an OHC motor, I've only done it on pushrod motors.

I second the milky oil thing. If you have a bad water pump or a line that has a problem it could be dripping on something very hot and boiling off. If that is happening you would be able to smell burnt coolant when your engine is hot.

Head gasket will give you milky oil, coolant out the tail pipe (steam) etc.... You could go to napa or pep boys and have them charge your coolant system with a pressurizer and that would show a line real quick.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

I assume it is an OHC motor, I've only done it on pushrod motors.

It's not an OHC motor, it has pushrods. smile.gif

Thanks for the info guys, I'll take it somewhere to have it checked out... :D

Let the car sit running in the same spot for a few minutes. If the water pump is bad, water will leak out the seep hole. Chances are you might not overheat the motor in this weather because its cold, and you have your heater on cooling the coolant anyhow. Just an extra idea.

also, pull your dipstick out. Take a lighter to the oil. If it pops and cracks, you have water in your oil. That is bad. Cool way to weld bearings.