Khumo Ecsta Supras

Guest drifter

Guest drifter
i was wonderin if anyone has ever used the kuhmo ecsta supras and if so are they any good.. i would need 255/50/r16's any imput about these would be great havent heard much about them or give me your suggestions graemlins/thumb.gif

There are better tires available out there.

If you don't drive your car in the snow, these would be your best bet.

If you do plan on driving your car in the snow, these are the tires you should get.

Kumho's...Comparing them to the first tire, they are not as good, yet not as expensive. So if you don't drive your car in the snow, the weight of the price difference -vs- quality of the tire will depend on you. If you do drive your car in the snow, the 2nd ones I posted are going to be the ones to go with.

cheap. sucky ass, crap of a tire... buy something else graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

although they smoke very good :D

4th gear burnout in my 88 LX... lots of smoke they stayed together for about 6 min.. lots of smoke.. but after your burn them competely off its a bumpy ride :D

Originally posted by REPO-st Man:

There are better tires available out there.

If you do plan on driving your car in the snow, these are the tires you should get.

If you do drive your car in the snow, the 2nd ones I posted are going to be the ones to go with.

i highly disagree! even on my 240 they were horrible in the snow.. In the rain they're pretty good and dry they're better than most all seasons. i'm currently running FM901s on the 240 and it made me realize what kind of dry/wet traction i was missing out on by using all-seasons, however.

i also have these on my A4 in a more aggressive thread pattern due to being a lower profile (50 compared to 60 series). i expected them to at least be decent in the snow being on a heavier car with AWD (for handling), and ABS. no they are just as bad.. again, in the dry and rain they work great though especially for the price, but i would never say someone should use these in the snow if they had a choice.. my review might change once i try the A4 out in heavier snowfall but even with traces of snow the car slid all over the place.

these tires suck more than you can know. ive drove cars that have these and traction sucks really bad worse than my yokohama paradas. a tire that is good is the bridgestone potenza S0-3 this tire is what my dad is running on his 93 rx7. also ive heard good news about the new toyo proxie 4

these tires suck more than you can know. ive drove cars that have these and traction sucks really bad worse than my yokohama paradas. a tire that is good is the bridgestone potenza S0-3 this tire is what my dad is running on his 93 rx7. also ive heard good news about the new toyo proxie 4

They suck so bad, you had to explain it THREE times! ;)

Originally posted by Morgan:

i highly disagree! even on my 240 they were horrible in the snow.. In the rain they're pretty good and dry they're better than most all seasons. i'm currently running FM901s on the 240 and it made me realize what kind of dry/wet traction i was missing out on by using all-seasons, however.

i also have these on my A4 in a more aggressive thread pattern due to being a lower profile (50 compared to 60 series). i expected them to at least be decent in the snow being on a heavier car with AWD (for handling), and ABS. no they are just as bad.. again, in the dry and rain they work great though especially for the price, but i would never say someone should use these in the snow if they had a choice.. my review might change once i try the A4 out in heavier snowfall but even with traces of snow the car slid all over the place.

Well, I would like to know what tires you would recommend for snow. When there are no winter tires available for your vehicle and performance tires have an N/A rating for snow, it kinda leaves you with no choice but to go with all-seasons. Every other all-season tire on Tire Rack for his tire size has a worse snow rating than those tires, so even though they may suck, they're the best he can get. Snow sucks period and without AWD or AT LEAST FWD, pretty much any tires is gonna blow worse than Krystal Steal.

Well, I would like to know what tires you would recommend for snow. When there are no winter tires available for your vehicle and performance tires have an N/A rating for snow, it kinda leaves you with no choice but to go with all-seasons. Every other all-season tire on Tire Rack for his tire size has a worse snow rating than those tires, so even though they may suck, they're the best he can get. Snow sucks period and without AWD or AT LEAST FWD, pretty much any tires is gonna blow worse than Krystal Steal.

for the snow the obvious choice would be winter/snow tires. and there are plenty of winter tires available for his car because it would be better to run a narrower tire with the same diameter in the snow. but anyways, if he was looking for a winter set-up he wouldn't have been looking at the Kuhmo's, Eagle F1s, or factory Z06 tires anyway so thats besides the point. the point i was trying to make was that the Dunlops are not good in the snow (especially after getting worn down a bit), and i don't want someone to buy them based on tire racks review and expect a lot more (which is what i did with the 240).

in regards to the original post i've heard good things about the Dunlop SP8000s, and they seem to be priced pretty well.

and there are plenty of winter tires available for his car

Not in the tire size he posted. Winter tires for 255/55/16's do not exist on Tire Rack. Also, neither do Winter tires for my 275/45/17's. If you know of a place that does have them, please let me know.

I agree that personal experience speaks better than some ratings on a website, but the ratings do come from customers who have had personal experiences. That's a good place to start with tires. He's got a Vette. Vette's suck in the snow regardless of tire.

Anywho, to answer your original question, drifter (since you really didn't specify driving conditions for the car), there are a lot better tires out there.

I honestly think that Kumho must have some very inconsistant tire compounds with the batches of these 712's Ecsta Supras they put out.

Why?? Because the variety of reponses I've heard on this board and others is very noticable.

I have them on my Formula (275/40/17 all around). IMO, their straight line traction is pretty decent for a street tire (I'm sure my suspension setup comes into play a bit here), but their handling isn't quite up to snuff IMO. I had no problems with their wet weather abilities, and I don't drive the car in the snow anymore, so I have no experience w/ these tires in the white stuff.

But treadwear for me has sucked pretty badly. I'd say the treadlife on my former set of Nitto DR's was just as good, yet with better traction. My regular Nitto 555's I had on the front of my old rims DEFINATELY had better tread life than my front Kumho's have.

Though these tires were dirt cheap, I'll definately be going with something else the next time around.

Not in the tire size he posted. Winter tires for 255/55/16's do not exist on Tire Rack. Also, neither do Winter tires for my 275/45/17's. If you know of a place that does have them, please let me know.

I agree that personal experience speaks better than some ratings on a website, but the ratings do come from customers who have had personal experiences. That's a good place to start with tires. He's got a Vette. Vette's suck in the snow regardless of tire.

well if you wouldn't have cut my sentence in half you would have had your answer.. like i said before, you would want narrower winter tires probably on separate rims anyway, so it wouldn't be difficult at all to find tires that would work. just keep the outside diameter close to stock to avoid speedo discrepencies and all is good. running 275 wide winter tires is just pointless anyway.

regardless, i'm done bringing this back up to the top.. he's not looking for winter tires, if you are then do some research on your own.

well if you wouldn't have cut my sentence in half you would have had your answer.. like i said before, you would want narrower winter tires probably on separate rims anyway, so it wouldn't be difficult at all to find tires that would work. just keep the outside diameter close to stock to avoid speedo discrepencies and all is good. running 275 wide winter tires is just pointless anyway.

regardless, i'm done bringing this back up to the top.. he's not looking for winter tires, if you are then do some research on your own.

werd