jeep problems

jeep17

i have the car below obviously... well i had to get a new engine this summer cuz it crapped out and had the carb rebuilt. it ran fine till it started to get cold the the choke spring got fucked up somehow and takes like 15 mins for it even warm up but the engine still seems to have a choking feeling to it which then at times sends a vibration thru the whole car and this is really pissing me off :mad: cuz being a broke college student i really cant go out and get a new car and i need a car thats reliable... any help is appreciated... thanks

garrett

I've had two Jeeps but unfortuneatly I'm not a carb expert. C'mon guys someone has to know this!

If you figure out what it is and need some help, send me a PM or post back and I'll see what I can do. Are you at OSU, and are you in Columbus over break?

its been taken back to be tuned twice now. still seems to be running a lot more rough then when the old engine was still working. im currently in cleveland but its coming back with me when i come back to school in janurary i have no other choice so if anyone wants to take a look be my guest cuz the place i take it has gotten enough money out of me. i just want to be pointed in the right direction for once and not get it back and find something else wrong in a couple weeks. whatever it is it has to be simple cuz this jeep is basically new with all the mechanical work thats been done to it. if i had a car to tune instead of this money pit it would be fast as shit but instead ive got this headache please help.

garrett

Guest nevarmore

Where in Cleveland? I'm down in Kent east of Akron and I'm bored off my ass since classes are over. I don't quite know what I could do to help, my carb'd car never needed tuned, but a second opinion might help. Never hurts to have a second set of eyes look at the problem.

You say it feels choked. Does it have a manual or electric choke?? If its manual the choke linkage from the knob/lever in the cab might be off. If it's electric something could be off (I know fuck all about electric chokes). Is something else choking it? IIRC a choke just cuts of a bit of the airflow, if something else is blocking the air it may feel choked when its not.

How bout some more info. What kind of carb? 2bbl, 4bbl? Holly, Edelbrock, Stromberg?

Tried removing/replacing the choke spring?

nah its a 90' was the last year they carbed and its a 4.2liter... they replaced the spring just a week ago and im pretty sure its a 4 barrel (could be wrong) and its electric choke so blah... so basically ive got so fed up with it that i took over my parents liberty so its just sitting at this point... and nevarmore if you feel you wanna drive up and take a look feel free i'll pick ya up some adult drinks or whatever for the help.. thanks all for the input so far

garrett

Guest nevarmore

Try disconnecting or checking the wiring on the electric choke. If you've had the carb in for servicing twice, it should be kosher but elctrical issues almost always manifest as a problem with something else.

Do you flip a switch to choke the engine? Is it based off of a thermal sensor? Check those out. Also find out if the carb chokes when it has power or when it doesnt have power. If it chokes when it has power then just disconnect it otherwise ground it so it always has power and stays off. Better yet wire a switch in and take control.

since i know nothing about carbs... all i know is everytime i get in the car when its cold... turn the key all the way till i wanna turn over the engine(when you hear the annoying beeping noise) and pump the gas once to set it then start it up but it still runs heavy takes forever to warm up even if i try to speed it up by running the idle up to 2500... i really dont have 20 mins to sit and warm up the engine.. i mean who does? but maybe it could be a fuel filter problem? but even if disconneting something could help my only friend that could help cant cuz he works night and day everybody else that does know something about cars knows nothing about carbs... but like i said earlier right now im trying not to drive the thing cuz its such a pain in the ass... thanks for the help again

garrett

Guest nevarmore

Thermostat??

Anyone agree with that? If it takes too long to heat up then there could be too cold of a thermostat in there. I don't know if it would cause the problems that he's having.

Don't sweat the help, my car isn't broken (relatively) and I enjoy trying to figure this shit out.

Thermostat would help explain the long warm-up times.

You mention in the original post that it feels choked up after it's running.

A simple and free thing to try is once the Jeep is started, tie wrap the choke plate open, and see if this makes a difference. Your plate may be staying shut and causing the crappy running condition.

I can feel the flaming before I even say this, but I have removed the chokes from every carbed vehicle I have owned and made it through winters.

One more thing, if you have an electric choke, why are pumping the gas to set it?

ok the guy that fixed it said the plate was staying shut thats why he replaced the spring... as for the pumping the pedal i've got no clue other than he said to pump it once to set the choke and start the car and thats it. other than this i know nothing, i can explain everything on my car except the carb which is naturally whats messed up.

garrett

the good ole straight six. prolly has a carter on it. If you can bring it to columbus I can make it work right. the choke has to be adjusted properly. try this too put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to partially block the airflow helping the jeep heat up faster it has a pretty good radiator in it and carbed cars WILL NOT run right if they are not at operating tempature.

hope this helps.