need advice

Guest hugeburnsbruck

Guest hugeburnsbruck

how hard would it be to replace the piston rings on an 88 dodge daytona turbo 2?

im kind of a rookie and i dont have any experiance under the hood.

project :confused:

i wanna fix up this car for a summer

-Dave

definitly not a good "my first car project",but it'll cost you an arm and a testicle to get it done professionally.if you have another car and a garage w/tools to work in you could probably get it done.just might take awhile depending on how much freetime and patience you have.

I'd have to agree with that. As long as you have another car to drive (which, looking at your vehicle info, we can assume that you do), and take your time to work on it, it wouldn't be very hard at all. Anything you do with that car would be money / experience ahead for when / if the Talon ever breaks, and would be a good idea. Just make sure you triple check everything when it comes to doing any kind of engine work, and you should be fine.

Guest hugeburnsbruck

great thats what i wanted to hear

what kind of tools would i need?

anything special or just ordinary garage tools?

also do you know of any sites that might have walk throughs or step by step instructions for these cars?

any help is appriciated

-Dave

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by hugeburnbruck:

great thats what i wanted to hear

what kind of tools would i need?

anything special or just ordinary garage tools?

also do you know of any sites that might have walk throughs or step by step instructions for these cars?

any help is appriciated

-Dave

Invest in a Chiltons or Haynes for the car. Chiltons is better, Haynes is easier to find and cheaper.

To do the pistion rings you're damn near rebuilding the engine with all the stuff you have to pull off and put on. At the bare minimum, the heads and oil pan are coming off to get the rods and pistons out. If you're taking it down that far its worth it to do a full rebuild and refurbishing now instead of having to tear it down again. As a bonus your engine will get another 100K of life, and maybe some more displacement with a freshening overbore.

AutoZone is your friend with thier free tool rental service.