Sumitomo Tires

T Rex

Originally posted by trexpro5:

Anybody heard of them? Any good? pros? cons? etc etc etc

Specifically the HTRZ II (205/50 16)

I was running a set of the 17's on the TA until just recently. I sold them with my old wheels. The only real complaints I have to give is that they are a lot heavier than some of the other tires I've had. Other than that, I can only compare them to the Goodyear GSCs and the Firestone Firehawks SZ50 EP's I've had on the car prior. The traction dry is about the same as the GYears and Lots worse than the Firehawks (The Firehawks were GREAT tires 1.80 60' times with these). The wet traction for the sumimotos was superior to the Goodyears but the Firehawks outperformed both by a decent margin. I don't recommend any of these tires for ICE/SNOW driving, at least with the TA I found the combination of power/ice/traction to be more than a little unsettling...

Bottom Lines:

GSC - Medium weight, wide stance, fair traction dry, poor traction wet, deadly on ice... AVERAGE price (Not worth it to me)

Firehawks - EXCELLENT Dry and Wet Traction, narrower width stance than GSC's, medium weight tire, Not good for ice (Z rated after all), EXPENSIVE (Get what you pay for)

Sumimoto - fair traction dry, good traction wet, Heavy Weight Tire, Also No good for ice (Z-Rated) CHEAP (for the money it might be justifiable if you just want to wrap your rims in some rubber for low price)