Maintenance questions...

CobraKevin

1. I've heard that only synthetic oil should be used on high performance vehicles like mine. So I whipped out the handy owner's guide and it recommends Motorcraft 5W-20 Super Premium Motor Oil. Is that synthetic? If not, what's the difference between the two? Why should it be used over this 5W-20 stuff. (Yeah, I'm ignorant :D )

2. My buddy works at Valvoline and I told him I was thinking of doing whatever could be done to my car to "freshen" it up. I knew they did more than just oil changes, so I wanted to see what else they could do. He rattled off engine flush, radiator flush, engine cleanser, etc. About 7 or so different things that do to cars that need a little "prepping" or whatever you wanna call it. What is an engine flush? Engine clenser? Radiator flush? Shit like that.

I'll understand if you don't feel like typing a bunch of shit, so links to info would suffice. graemlins/thumb.gif

[ 23. December 2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: REPO-st Man ]

how many miles on your car? I am guessing that it under 50 thow. If so I would not worry about motor flush and that sort. Check you owners manual to see when a coolant flush is recamended, Other than that just change the oil and such. Oh and on oil, a Full synthetic will do a couple things, first it will free up some hp do to reduction in friction. second due to the lesser friction the motor will last longer and take a little more abuse. But if you are going to spend the money on engine oil I would change out the geerbox and rearend fuids too in order to see the hp gains and save wear and tear on whole car.

It wouldn't hurt. I change mine every spring regardless of mileage, I think they reccomend it every 15k miles. If the T56 they use in your car is the same as in F-bodies make sure you put ATF in it, not oil. If you take it somewhere make sure you tell them at least twice or you'll end up with the wrong stuff in your trans.

I assume the engine flush/cleanser you mentioned is some kind of top-end cleaner like Seafoam. It's a solvent that breaks up carbon deposits in the intake manifold and combstion chambers. That's pretty easy to do yourself, just suck it in through a vaccum line. Smokes like crazy when you use it. It can foul your plugs and O2's though with all the carbon it gets out. I'd do it right before you change plugs.

I don't know the mantainence schedule on your car, but personally each spring I do-

Rear end fluid

Trans fluid

Plugs

Fuel filter

clean the K&N

PCV valve

oil change if not done recently

Maintenence is cheap insurance for your drivetrain. It's not going to do anything but help, unless you do something stupid like putting engine oil in a tranny that uses ATF.

top cylinder cleaner like seafoam is good. DO NOT USE ENGINE FLUSH, it does nasty shit like pick up little pieces of casting flash and plugs up your oil pickup tube. the seafoam gets carbon off of the top of the pistons and helps prvent detonation. yearly maintenece should be filters tune up fluid change etc. always use premium quality fluids and filters. I don't use synthetics but I do use good additives from lucas oil products works out to the same price either way

So...this is what I've gotten so far...

1. 5W-20 would be fine.

2. Automatic Tranny Fluid MUST be used when tranny is changed. (I just looked this up in the owner's guide too)

3. The few other things that Brendon mentioned that should be done.

Looks like some of my tax returns will go to this stuff. Thanks for the info, fellas. :cool: