ATTN: Ford guys. help needed

JaSSon

This is not posted in the tech sectinog to get a faster response, please don't move it yet.

I am changing my fuel filter at this very moment. car is up on jack stands, replacement ready, but the old filter won't come off! I have it off the bracket, inlet tube is disconnected, it came of fairly easily, but the outlet won't come off the filter!! i have been tugging, and twisting, but it won't release! Is there some trick to this that i am missing?

There isn't on mine. On mine there are 2 little plastic clips that need to be removed. You shouldn't need any tool other than your index finger and thumb to get it off.

Edit: I do recall when I did mine last year, I broke one of the clips taking it off (they're pieces of sh*t) and just ended up using one of those metal fasteners like those used on your MAF housing and Intake tube to T/B connection, and it's much easier to get off and on now.

If it's anything like the fuel rails on the early 5.0s you'll need a special tool that releases an inner clip, then it slides out with very little resistance. You should be able to find the tool at napa, maybe even autozone or advance.

Originally posted by FourPointSix:

mine has metal tubes that connect to the filter, so i cant use a hose clamp.

Hmm...did you end up getting it, or you still stuck?

I'm getting ready to change the fuel filter on my g/f's '98 Cobra here within the next week or so. Maybe they changed the setup over the years.

Originally posted by Razorback:

Hmm...did you end up getting it, or you still stuck?

I'm getting ready to change the fuel filter on my g/f's '98 Cobra here within the next week or so. Maybe they changed the setup over the years.

I gave up. I tried to bend some small screw drivers i have lying around, didn't do the trick. I'll have to go to pepbouy tomorrow and see if they have it.

i had the same problem, went to autozone and picked up the quick disconnect tool for the fuel filter. it's kinda a sissers only ther are half circles on the end that go around the fuel line.

it's less than 5 bucks.

Some of the Ford fuel lines require the special tool, but most have the "tool" built into the line. There might an inner sleeve that you have to push up into the end of the line (it's spring loaded), then push the line towards the filter (while the sleeve is compressed) and then pull it off.

Good luck, those lines suck!

I stopped at napa on my way home today and got that little tool. My butt still hurts from the screwing they gave me on that thing too. $16 and some change. But, i needed it, i'm exhausted, and i don't like advance.