brake pad recommendations

recklessOP

i'll start with a little background info. the car is a 2002 ford mustang GT. i've got twin piston aluminum calipers on ventilated rotors up front, with single piston calipers and solid rotors in the rear. the car should weigh right around 3200 pounds...

up until now the brakes have been ok. they've supplied a decent amount of stopping power, nothing awe inspiring, but enough for day to day driving and a little fun on the street.

anyways, just got back from my first open track day at nelson ledges. six hours of road racing has completely destroyed the factory pads, which had 24k miles of street driving (lots of highway miles) on them beforehand. now i'm looking at a set of "race" pads.

any thoughts? experience with a particular brand you'd like to share? not really looking for an all out race pad, just something with more brake torque, fade resistance, and durability. dust and noise are NOT a concern, but rotor wear is. i do not want something that will destroy the rotors.

guess i'm looking for more of an intermediate pad, with acceptable pad and rotor wear...

thanks in advance... smile.gif

[ 29. July 2003, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Four Wheel Drift ]

Guest mudbutt

I have had good luck with axis metal master pads. I have had them on my supras and drove a few other cars with them. Being a heavy ass car the mk3 supra isnt the best stopper in the world. I used the axis and brembo slotted/drilled rotors. There was quite a noticable difference. It wasnt like putting 6 pot calapers and 15" disks on or anything, but it was quite an improvment in both actual stopping and brake fade. Ask supragluejr as the car is his now.

Joel

hawk HP+ i have them on the front of my 7 night and day difference, only bad thing is they squeel when they are hot(only when slowing to a stop) and they dust like a mother fucker.

the HPS is more of an upgraded street pad if i remember correctly. better than a stock pad, but i'm looking for more...

i was looking at the HP+ pads a while back as an option. from what i've read they're easy to use and not terribly hard on rotors, but again, they may not hold up to sustained abuse with my heavy street car. if i change my mind and decide to use the new pads on the street, the HP+ pads might be a workable choice...

like i said before, dust and noise are of no concern. really looking for a light to medium duty racing pad.

anyways, what's a good place (price wise) to buy performance brake pads? btw, i'm also looking for braided lines, so any recommendations there as far as brands..?

thanks again... smile.gif

Guest doggunracing
I would also say that HP+ aren't enough for semi-serious track duty. I'm running Hawk Blues, but would probably go Blacks next time for more rotor-friendliness. These things BITE!!!

Originally posted by doggunracing:

I would also say that HP+ aren't enough for semi-serious track duty. I'm running Hawk Blues, but would probably go Blacks next time for more rotor-friendliness. These things BITE!!!

haven't been able to find anywhere that sells hawk race pads, any ideas where i can look? and how much do the blacks usually run a set?

I run hawk HP+ in the front and HPS's in the rear to give a bit of front brake bias. My car isn't as heavy as yours, and I had the fronts smoking my 3rd session at the track @ putnam raceway in April. They gave plenty of warning as they were fading though which made me feel comfortable. Putnam is a fast track, I was hitting 130Mph on the main straight.

The HP+'s will squeel, but very very softly at low speeds if you break them in properly, and they dust pretty heavy.

If brake dust is an issue, you might want to look into the EBC greens? But if you need the stopping power keep looking at the hawks, HP+, blues and evantually the blacks when you are pushing extremely hard.

K