How to Degree a cam.....

T Rex

I haven't been able to find much information on "How to Degree a cam." I just bought a pretty hefty custom ground cam from a friend on turboford.org. Unfortunatly, he doesnt have a cam card and the only specs that I know are:

540/.534 234/236 duration @ .050

110 C/L

110 LSA

Im sure that I messed up somewhere. Im still reading up on what each spec means on the cam. Figured I would ask for some help here as well.

Is this for a 2.3l?

You could always install it straight up with an adjustable cam gear...It's not going to be the same as Degreeing a OHV V8. FWIW, I would install that cam 'straight up' (just line the timing marks up).

Originally posted by The Pizza Man:

Yup.

Install it straight up and get a adjustable cam gear, wouldn't that be the best option? I know its what is commonly done. Using a degree wheel wouldn't be necessary.

What head do you have? What the shit is this thing going in?

I could get you a complete xr4Ti motor, harness (best stand-alone harness) and computer for like $350 prolly. My friend has one sitting in his garage that he isnt going to use. It has a knife-edged lower and half gutted upper, besides that its stock.

I was going to get an adjustable cam gear anyway. Thanks for the help. graemlins/thumb.gif

Ive got basically just about everything I need (except a head). The one that I got at the JY had a nice crack in one of the exhaust seats. I *think* I just might have enough money after taxes to get that Esslinger Aluminum head, which would be ideal (better flow and less detonation pron).

My block is getting bored as we speak and the crank is being knife edged (at M&M of course, thanks RL ;) ). Once I figure out what kind of bore I have on the block I will order my pistons, probably Diamond's or JE's. I haven't decided If I will have M&M buid the block or do it myself :eek::eek: . Id like to do it myself but Im afraid I will really mess something up. We'll see.....

After I get the motor the way I want it I will buy an 87-93 Mustang Notch. Preferably with a 2.3l NA already in there. We'll see where it goes though. This is my first project and I think its coming along pretty well.

Mike over at M&M is awesome to work with. He was very busy and REALLY took the time to look at what I wanted to do and what he could help me out with. Granted thats his job but he made a customer out of me. (Thanks again RL)

Originally posted by The Pizza Man:

I was going to get an adjustable cam gear anyway. Thanks for the help. graemlins/thumb.gif

Ive got basically just about everything I need (except a head). The one that I got at the JY had a nice crack in one of the exhaust seats. I *think* I just might have enough money after taxes to get that Esslinger Aluminum head, which would be ideal (better flow and less detonation pron).

My block is getting bored as we speak and the crank is being knife edged (at M&M of course, thanks RL ;) ). Once I figure out what kind of bore I have on the block I will order my pistons, probably Diamond's or JE's. I haven't decided If I will have M&M buid the block or do it myself :eek::eek: . Id like to do it myself but Im afraid I will really mess something up. We'll see.....

After I get the motor the way I want it I will buy an 87-93 Mustang Notch. Preferably with a 2.3l NA already in there. We'll see where it goes though. This is my first project and I think its coming along pretty well.

Mike over at M&M is awesome to work with. He was very busy and REALLY took the time to look at what I wanted to do and what he could help me out with. Granted thats his job but he made a customer out of me. (Thanks again RL)

Sweet shit! smile.gif Glad you like M&M they kick ass. Have them assymble the engine, you have a lot of money in it, not a goood 'learning' engine smile.gif

Tell Mike Rob sent ya! I owe him $20 for a ring set still, I should probably pay him :D