Who wants to help a newb?

justin0469

Anyone in the area want to help me go over my new bike. I know there is things that need to be done like adjust the chain (its bad) and I'm sure there's more that I don't even know. Who can help out a newb and check it out with me?

Your owners manual should tell you how to adjust your chain.

It's simple and a must know when you're new to bikes.

-Get the tools and learn it.

-Get a 100 ftlb torque wrench with a socket to fit your axel nut.

-Get a cotter pin the same size as your old one that goes through it.

-Take the cotter pin off and loosen the axel nut.

-Next, take 2 little wrenches to adjust the chain adjusting nuts on both sides of the swingarm to get your comfortable chain slack where you want it.

-Line up the hash marks as good as you can then tighten the nuts. That's fine for now until you buy a chain-alignment tool like I have. I bought a motion pro chain alignment tool and it's cheaper than $15.

-Next, tighten axel nut to specified torque and then put cotter pin though.

You're DONE! :cool:

Angrish, I appreciate the offer! I might have to take you up on it when I get the right tools/parts. If the chain can easily touch the swingarm when I push it up from underneath, what's the likelyhood I will need to replace it?

Angrish, I appreciate the offer! I might have to take you up on it when I get the right tools/parts. If the chain can easily touch the swingarm when I push it up from underneath, what's the likelyhood I will need to replace it?

Not very likely you will need to replace, but ya never know

you should change your sprockets at the same time you change your chain IMO. if you put a new chain on old sprockets, the worn sprockets will tear the hell out of the chain, and vice versa.

the hash marks on the swingarm are good, but they arent always perfect. its really easy to align your tires using a string. check it out

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/string_align_motorcycle_wheels/index.html