the leaks wont go away!!!!

Guest silverbullet

Guest silverbullet
ok..so my grand prix has been leaking fairly bad...first i changed the oil pan gasket hoping that would solve my problem...i put everything back into place...only to find out when i start the car and move the wheels back and forth that either i broke a power steering line when i dropped the engine or that was the original leak...so..i change out all the power steering hoses..turn the car on turn the wheels..no leak...so im thinking ive finally solved my problem..right? NO...i take it out on a testdrive..and i notice that its not running completely right...the engine is reving up and down while im idling..and it died on me 4 times in 10 minutes...so i park it back on the street for a bit...move it back into the garage..and when i look onto the street what do i see...more FUCKING OIL ON THE GROUND...does anyone have any ideas on what my problem is now?...before i change the gasket and the hoses the only problem i had was the leaks..now its not running right at all..and i dont know what to do...

To my knowledge those motors leak oil commonly from three places.

Rear Main Seal.

a small oil pump O ring

from a small plug where a distributor used to be (earlier versions of this motor ran a disti instead of coil packs, and instead of resdesigning the head, they just plugged the hole) . Can you tell approx where the leak is coming from?

As far as why it's running shitty. You said you pulled the motor? My guess is you probably didn't put something back correctly. Start troublshooting, especially vacuum lines. A commonly missed one is the fuel preasure regulator. It's on the driverside of the intake manifold.

Guest White Horse

You had to drop the engine to remove the oil pan??? WTF?? The only way to fix a GM is to trade it for a Ford.

Seriously, clean the damn engine so that you can see where it is leaking from... probably head gasket or rear main seal.

Chevy = graemlins/nonono.gif

Originally posted by Silverbullet:

i broke a power steering line when i dropped the engine or that was the original leak...

Also, big difference between engine oil and power steering fluid... I hope to god you can tell the difference...

Good luck.

Guest silverbullet

lol..yes i can tell the difference.....the only thing that threw me off was the fact that the guy before me used automatic transmission fluid as powersteering fluid...which ate away at the pipes causing a hole...but i seemed to make the whole bigger when i had to drop the engine...and yes..it is crazy to have to drop the engine to get to the oil pan...but it was the only way to do it..im not retarted...lol..and as of right now...ive been tearing it apart..and im thinking that it is the plug where the distributer used to be such as ficus mentioned earlier b/c their seems to be alot of oil in that general area...atleast i hope that is the problem and not a rear main or a head gasket..

thanks for the help smile.gif

Originally posted by silverbullet:

lol..yes i can tell the difference.....the only thing that threw me off was the fact that the guy before me used automatic transmission fluid as powersteering fluid...which ate away at the pipes causing a hole...but i seemed to make the whole bigger when i had to drop the engine...and yes..it is crazy to have to drop the engine to get to the oil pan...but it was the only way to do it..im not retarted...lol..and as of right now...ive been tearing it apart..and im thinking that it is the plug where the distributer used to be such as ficus mentioned earlier b/c their seems to be alot of oil in that general area...atleast i hope that is the problem and not a rear main or a head gasket..

thanks for the help smile.gif

That is your best case scenerio. Cheap (2 bucks) and easy smile.gif

Guest White Horse
yeah... transverse mounted v6... pray to every god that you can think of that it is the distributer seal.. lol Those SUCK to do head gaskets and rear mains on!! graemlins/nonono.gif

Guest cheapnissan93
this dosent relate to the earlier topic but i just got a 93 nissan sentra xe (yes i no it's a shitty car) but i want to fix it up and i need help. what should i put on it, i was thinking first header intake exhaust set maybe taking the engine to get it cleaned out !80,000mi graemlins/eek2.gif but then??? need help graemlins/doh.gif