WRX-300hp

Guest DagoRcR

Guest DagoRcR

Hey everybody.

My friend has a WRX with the new body style (03-04?). He doesn't want anything too crazy in the power dept. no Stage 3 turbo upgrades (I tried). He just wants a nice solid 300hp from his scooby.

Anyways guy I wanted to help him out. So can you help me, by telling me to easyest, most-low cost way of achieveing 300hp and where i might find it.

"If you can do this for me, you'll be a made man, anything you want" haha just had to throw that in.

I'd appreciate it a bunch.

Thx fellas

D

Guest mudbutt
Not a scooby guy, but with just about any turbo car the 1st upgrades should be downpipe, exhaust, intake, and boost controller.dobut that will give him 300 on stock turbo, but like I said, Im not a scooby guy.

Originally posted by Ol' Drippy:

Not a scooby guy, but with just about any turbo car the 1st upgrades should be downpipe, exhaust, intake, and boost controller.dobut that will give him 300 on stock turbo, but like I said, Im not a scooby guy.

Yeah, that's usually a pretty solid combo. Another note. WRX's are a boxer engine, the have 2 manifolds that collect the 2 sets of exhaust on each side, then some sort of y pipe that goes into a precat (that's before the turbo). I've heard this refered to as an up-pipe in the scobby community. Something to that effect, never looked under the hood of one of thoes beast before. Precats kill turbo perfomance quite a bit, it's another thing to try and get (the up pipe w/o cat). I've heard either the up pipe or down pipe are a PITA to do in that car though (can't remember which one).

But yeah, up pipe, down pipe, test pipe and cat back exhaust (aka full exhaust). Then whatever's easiest to do on the intake side (k&n bolt on, solid hot air intake w/filter). And a manual boost controler www.boostcontroller.com or you can make a home depto one (do a google search on home made mbc or something to that effect). The new hallman pro on there looks fucking sweet.

Hopefully one of the wrx guys will chime in soon, I'm sure there's a nice forum somewhere for info on this (a scobby forum).

Guest powers

yes take care of the exhaust issues including an up pipe. But you will need something other than a manual boost controler. The stock ecu cuts fuel at 15lbs i think. This problem is usually fixed by some type of piggy back computer or ecu reflash that fixes this problem and adjusts boost levels for you.

COMPLETE exhaust including up pipe.

piggy back computer or reflash

fuel pump

injectors

turbo

That is the order you want to follow. You should be able to get to 300 without the turbo, it just helps alot.

Get with quantum racing in Marsyville. Mark will guide you well.

Originally posted by BIG PAPA:

yes take care of the exhaust issues including an up pipe. But you will need something other than a manual boost controler. The stock ecu cuts fuel at 15lbs i think. This problem is usually fixed by some type of piggy back computer or ecu reflash that fixes this problem and adjusts boost levels for you.

COMPLETE exhaust including up pipe.

piggy back computer or reflash

fuel pump

injectors

turbo

That is the order you want to follow. You should be able to get to 300 without the turbo, it just helps alot.

Get with quantum racing in Marsyville. Mark will guide you well.

Thanks for correcting about not being able to be a cheap ass and get the mbc, didn't know that. The only thing dsm ECU's do well is retard for knock and hit fuel cut (but this happens at a certian freq. for the maf, seems to vary alot from car to car).

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by My name... is Neo:

Thanks for correcting about not being able to be a cheap ass and get the mbc, didn't know that. The only thing dsm ECU's do well is retard for knock and hit fuel cut (but this happens at a certian freq. for the maf, seems to vary alot from car to car).

DSM ecus do good things, just not in the auto cars smile.gif

300+ will take

Big injectors 650CC+

Bigger Fuel Pump

Engine Mgmt. ECUTEK or Unichip

VF-30 or greater Turbo

Front Mount IC or large top mount

Complete exhaust ie.... turboback and up-pipe

Aftermarket intake

Expensive ass gauges to watch EGT and A/F

and the tranny will break about once a year

I wouldn't expect going from ~175 to the wheels to over 300whp to be a cheap upgrade either.

PM me... I may have some parts for him soon.

Guest BlackS14

Speed costs money...

...how fast does he want to go?

$4-5k for 300whp, following Jack's advice.

There's plenty of Stage I tuner packages that will put down 210whp for a lot less, but why stop there?

Keep the stock clutch, and shift carefully -you won't need an STI tranny. (even though I'm saving up for one). Maintaining the factory boost control will also go a long way towards saving your tranny when you get up there in the numbers.

Send him and his car to a Scooby get-together and he'll get a lot of helpful tips.

A good setup is a up-pipe (gruppe-s - $139 shipped) Helix Downpipe (replaces 2 cats after turbo Gruppe-s-$295 shipped) Cobb Tuning Stage 2 AccessECU 93+ octaine reflash $395+$60 shipping. ALl labor done yourself. Pretty easy to do. Total = $889

Anymore power and expect to replace the tranny, an STI 6 speed plus diff is going for 5-8 Grand depending on where you get it. Everyone I have heard of putting 300AWDhp to a WRX has had tranny issues.

Gets you around 215 to the wheels and a mid 13 sec 1/4 mile. Best Second upgrade, First should be Tires.

"k&n bolt on, solid hot air intake w/filter). And a manual boost controler www.boostcontroller.com or you can make a home depto one (do a google search on home made mbc or something to that effect). The new hallman pro on there looks fucking sweet." graemlins/nonono.gif

K&N does nothing, dyno proven in several Message boards.

Short ram intake will make you run lean without Engine MGMT. Not a good thing.

MBC - unless you want to pop your hood and tune your car everyday this is not a good Idea. Different atmospheric conditions require different settings. These are OK in some places in the US but here they are a nightmere.

Guest BlackS14

I'm making 300whp and I have 30k miles.

No tranny issues, using the stock (original) clutch.

Drive carefully.

Go easy in 1st and 2nd.

I may be looking into one of those EBCs. One with a high/low boost feature. Just to make the car more fun to drive.

Must find a job first...

Originally posted by BlackS14:

I'm making 300whp and I have 30k miles.

No tranny issues, using the stock (original) clutch.

Drive carefully.

Go easy in 1st and 2nd.

I may be looking into one of those EBCs. One with a high/low boost feature. Just to make the car more fun to drive.

Must find a job first...

You can be careful, but the "tranny reaper" will get you. Your clock is ticking too, it's not just the abuse of the driver, but the abuse of drivetrain parts.

No slipping of the tires, no slipping of the clutch = a tranny taking alot of stress!

Guest BlackS14

I do slip my clutch...

not painfully, or under much throttle though.

I have already started the "STI 6 speed tranny savings account"

Not because I am expecting to fry my trans that soon, but more because I really want that cool little dial in my console- ;)

Originally posted by WRallyBlue02:

"k&n bolt on, solid hot air intake w/filter). And a manual boost controler www.boostcontroller.com or you can make a home depto one (do a google search on home made mbc or something to that effect). The new hallman pro on there looks fucking sweet." graemlins/nonono.gif

K&N does nothing, dyno proven in several Message boards.

Short ram intake will make you run lean without Engine MGMT. Not a good thing.

MBC - unless you want to pop your hood and tune your car everyday this is not a good Idea. Different atmospheric conditions require different settings. These are OK in some places in the US but here they are a nightmere.

Look, one of the scooby guys I was talking about chimed in. :rolleyes:

I think anyone with a 45 IQ could gleem from my post this was a generalization for turbo cars, and allmost allways works. K&N intake that replaces the airbox only is usually fairly cheap, makes the intake sound much better, and I highly doubt the stock airbox is as good as an aftermarket cone filter. A few HP is very hard to prove on a dyno, and that's all a filter will net you on a stock car usually. I'm willing to bet if it's proveable (probably not) that it doens't net any HP stock, it will do two things. It WILL change your power curves, and it would help once you did other things (open it up more).

Are your cars speed density or tuned to the raged edge from the factory? If you answer no to both of these, then it will run leaner when you open it up, but it more than likely ran a little rich stock, that whole engineering for saftey thing. graemlins/nonono.giftongue.gif I've also read that thoes ECU's do a pretty good job of changing due to enviormental changes/minor boltons... how true is this?

You CANNOT beat an MBC for the price, they work pretty well, allmost as well as any electronic boost controler for far less. Atmospheric changes? Unless you live in colorad at mile high and drive through the mountians on a regular basis I highly doubt you would need to worry about that very much. Where do you live (just wondering)? And if you'd look at that webpage there is an accessorie you can buy to change it from the cockpit... haha, i said cock.

Mines been sitting in the same place for so long I'm not sure I could change it if I wanted (rusted, I bought a crappy one). It allways hits what it was originally set at, other than my boost creep (not related to the MBC, other minor issue). I've also never driven my car outside of the midwest. EBC's have not been proven to handel overboost problems any better than an MBC, I think there 1 or 2 that claim to help this problem.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MarkMyers

A good combo:

Uppipe and turboback (not HKS or stromung)

walbro GSS342 and STi injectors

VF34

TXS UTEC

upgraded IC; FMIC preferred

short ram (Perrin, etc.)

Denso IK22

You should be able to make 300+whp with no problems. I've made plenty more on my car; it all depends on how you drive.

Originally posted by MarkMyers:

A good combo:

Uppipe and turboback (not HKS or stromung)

walbro GSS342 and STi injectors

VF34

TXS UTEC

upgraded IC; FMIC preferred

short ram (Perrin, etc.)

Denso IK22

You should be able to make 300+whp with no problems. I've made plenty more on my car; it all depends on how you drive.

He's back! :eek: