disc brake conversion

Akula

My bug (real bug) has drums all the way around, I just ordered the discs all the way around. I haven't ever swapped this out before so what should I expect, other than a need for liquid wrench?

Also, post install, what should I do? do I need to do anything special to prep the new discs? Drive around with the brakes on or anything?

Guest BlackS14

Ummm...

Never done a 4 wheel disc swap on a Bug (sounds cool though), but there isn't anything special you should have to do to the discs after the install is complete.

Just season (bed) the pads in properly before you get busy with it.

new lines and hoses for sure, just cheap insurance on a higher milage car. Also plan on having a few bottles of brake fluid around, with all new lines it can take a while to bleed the system.

penetrating oil is your friend, also a blue tip wrench if you hafto use heat on a stuborn bolt.

use the apropriate tool on the fastener (using a 12 point socket on a rusty 6 pt is asking for a rounded head)

best of luck

I am going to put it up in the air and soak all the bolts with liquid wrench before I do anything. I will start the tear down and get all the old parts out of the way and look at what needs re-done.

Thanks for the advice, I am more worried about the races getting inserted correctly and putting the brakes in the right way.

Broke a 1/2" drive flex bar, smashed finger, owned by second hub nut. Nut 1 me 0. Borrowed 3/4" drive ratchet and socket, Nut 1 Me 0, Paul and Matt 1. I would be willing to bet they applied 700 pounds of torque to break that bastard loose. I would have helped but this finger really hurts.

Originally posted by Akula:

Broke a 1/2" drive flex bar, smashed finger, owned by second hub nut. Nut 1 me 0. Borrowed 3/4" drive ratchet and socket, Nut 1 Me 0, Paul and Matt 1. I would be willing to bet they applied 700 pounds of torque to break that bastard loose. I would have helped but this finger really hurts.

700 ft lbs?

what, did you guys talk berto into sitting on the end of the breaker bar?