MAP Sensor Kills Car

Mr. Jones

Trying to figure out the latest beater problem.

91 Geo Storm.

(standard GM Electronics I am told).

The car w/ map connected will start but stall immediately after. And is extremely hard to run it misses/searches bad even under throttle conditions, however runs great in the upper/rpm range+3k for example.

W/O the map the car starts up and idles fine, however, you can tell its searching around at upper rpms and hesitating badly w/o a map obviously.

I have swapped with a known good map out of my Fiero w/ no change.

Any Clues ?

Guest nevarmore

Could it be some other sensor?

Perhaps when the MAP is removed the computer stops taking a signal from that AND some other sensor. When you put the MAP back in the computer starts taking readings from it and the other bad sensor.

I would have to agree, once you disconnect the MAP sensor, you put the computer into an open loop, it knows that something is wrong and goes to the factory presets on all sensors.

My sujestion is hit the AutoZone, or the car parts place you like and buy a Haynes manual for the car. It will tell you how to pull the codes. And the codes will tell you what sensor is really acting up. Before pulling the codes though. Discconnect the battery for 30 min to clear the computer and then start up the car and let it warmup. Reason it that you WILL get a MAP sensor failure due to you haveing ti disconnected while it was running. That may mask the other problems.