leaky rear-end.

JaSSon

My tranny is leaking where the drive shaft slides in. no drips, just looks like it splatters the bottom of the car while i'm driving. I know pretty much what i need to fix it, but it's an incredibly slow leak, so i'm not worried. But my rear-end is worrying me. It too is leaking where it bolts to the drive shaft. No drips, but again splatter, but heavier than the transmission. And i can't drain it without removing the entire cover and scraping off gacket silicon and... just a pita to refill i bet. So what gasket (seal? whatever?) do i need to replace? how hard is this going to be?

you need a rear tranny seal and a pinon seal I'd do the tranny seal first it was the only one that appeared to be leaking when Fowler and I did your clutch. the goop on the rearend is probably from the tranny. if you have to do a pinon seal its pretty easy, but you'll have to unbolt the pinon nut wich usually requires an impact wrench.

HTH

Guest White Horse

+1 do tranny first, you KNOW thats leaking, you THINK the rear is.

+1 stolen 5.0

And yeah, filling the rear is fun in the stang... its worth the couple of bucks to buy one of those fancy-schmancy filler spouts that screw into the end of the oil bottle. It will save you a few headaches and a lot of wasted oil that you will otherwise spill on youself...

*note I hate tranny leaks... graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

throw a can of stop leak in it.

j/k

tranny for shure.

When the seal on my satelite went, it made it look like the rear was splattering, but i never lost a bit of rearend fluid.

Take note of the temp of you rearend after driving. If it feels warmer than it chould be, you could be low on lube