CRX with B18c5 help

Guest nixon

Guest nixon
Does anyone know where to get the integra type r engine B18c5? Is it a pretty hard engine swap on the crx? just trying to get as much info on this swap.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The swap is a pretty straight forward deal...any Honda engine swap is, unless you start trying to cram h22's in civics.

Rob

Trying to find a smooth, discrete way of saying that I do engine swaps for money

Guest nixon
well just the B18c is like a step down from the c5. just want a powerful engine to put in and i thought of the c5. rl could you find me a engine and do the swap? how much do you think it would cost?

Guest badmuthrfkr

From that response, it sounds as though you don't know too much besides raw HP figures given on sheets.

What is your goal with the car?

edit: BTW, the B18 will not drop right in. You will need to replace your motor mounts with a kit from Place Racing to adapt the B18 motor. The kit runs about $350.

[ 12 May 2002, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: Hua ]

There is a place here in town where you can get it, but I cannot remember the name of the place or where it is located. I will get that information for you within the next couple of days and get back to you. You can bolt a SOHC Vtec motor right into your car, all you have to do is change some wiring and use the SOHC Vtec ECU. I have a friend that has a CRX with said motor in it. It's pretty quick, if you don't want something that is crazy fast you could go with it, since all of the parts you will need will only cost about $600. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Later.

yeah, don't do the zc swap. If you're looking for power, i say for the money go with the b16a. I've heard they will drop in quite nicely. I've raced a civic w/ a zc and a crx w/ a zc and destroyed them both. My friend w/ a civic hatch w/ 18's and almost completely stock beat a crx w/ a zc. Just lettin u know not to waste the money on a zc, go w/ the b16a imo

Originally posted by TrboRex:

For the money it takes to do the B16 swap right, you could have a turbo ZC and kill B16's. Trust me, B16's arnt shit against a turbo ZC.

A turbo ZC isn't jack compared to a turbo B16A either.It's important to know how fast you want to go.If you are wanting to make 300whp, a turbo ZC isn't going to cut it with out engine work. A turbo B-series motor can do that amount of power quite reliably.

Im talking dollar for dollar, the cost of a B16 swap done right and a Turbo ZC swap are about the same and you will have more speed with the turbo ZC. I have friends with both so I know. It all depends on what you want to do. I would rather do something different like build up a ZC to turbo then do a b16 swap that everyone else does. Just my .02

I personaly am NOT a fan of b16 swaps, I'm sorry, but i have yet to see one run impresive numbers, I have done 2 b16a turbo's now, and brians car just flat out runs better. The money you have in a b16 is not worth the slight hp advantage you MIGHT have if you can tune it. If you want to do a b series, do a b18c turbo'd.

[ 12 May 2002, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: rl ]

Originally posted by rl:

I personaly am NOT a fan of b16 swaps, I'm sorry, but i have yet to see one run impresive numbers, I have done 2 b16a turbo's now, and brians car just flat out runs better. The money you have in a b16 is not worth the slight hp advantage you MIGHT have if you can tune it. If you want to do a b series, do a b18c turbo'd.

What ECU method was used on these swaps? If done right their is no tuning involved with just a bone stock B16A.

Guest nixon
i was originally getting a integra gsr but i decided to go crx with engine swap. I was just gonna go with the b18c the same engine i was gonna have in the integra but i looked at the Bseries engines and just thought why not go with the type r. wouldn't the b18c be better with s-charger then turbo? Except now i guess im looking at either zc engine or b18c

Originally posted by slow4now:

What ECU method was used on these swaps? If done right their is no tuning involved with just a bone stock B16A.

when you put a turbo on a b16 there is some tuning involved to maximize the combo. Its not going to run as well as it can with greddys fuel control box.

there are a few guys in cinci going 13.0's with b16's and a 50 shot of nitrous in civic hatchbacks...its all in tuning.

Like I told you last night, either one is going to perform better with a turbo vs a roots blower.

[ 12 May 2002, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: rl ]

It all depends on how fast you want to go and how much money you have to work with. It is very easy to get a ZC and a turbo kit for around $2800, about the cost of a B16 with mounts, axles, shift linkage and all the other bullshit. You could spend another $2000 from JG Engine Dynamics and get a fully built ZC block that will withstand 25 pounds of boost. Now you have about $4800 in a motor that in a CRX will easily hit high 11's on slicks, maybe even a little better. Last time I checked a price for a type r motor from nippon-motors.com, I think they wanted like around $4500 and that motor is definately not going to run high 11's. If you have infinite amounts of money, buy a integra LS and turbo the hell out of that and build it. IMO, that is the best motor to turbo because of the lack of VTEC.

Originally posted by rl:

when you put a turbo on a b16 there is some tuning involved to maximize the combo. Its not going to run as well as it can with greddys fuel control box.

The ZDYNE one wire conversion comes with fuel and ignition maps already optimized so there is no tuning required. What Greddy fuel control box are you speaking of? Thanks.

Originally posted by slow4now:

The ZDYNE one wire conversion comes with fuel and ignition maps already optimized so there is no tuning required. What Greddy fuel control box are you speaking of? Thanks.

The controller greddy gives you, which basically uses the MAP sensor to up the voltage to the injectors, and slighty retards the timing, it comes with the kit for 95+ civics.

And I'm sorry but there is no cookie cutter optimization, it can come close, but the best way is to get it on a dyno with a wideband and play with it.

[ 12 May 2002, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: rl ]

Guest nixon
i'm working with about 10k. i just want to get something in the long run will be really powerful. running 11's is fast enough for what i want.