need some help...

Guest 90accordman

Guest 90accordman

For the past couple od days my speedometer quits working and my check engine light comes on. Any suggestions as to what this might be.

My car is a '90 honda accord LX 2-door.

i'm not sure if it is the same solution... but with my stang i had a problem similar to that but my speedometer shakes horribly. i took it to the shop and they fixed the loose wires that were causing the lights to come on. they told me that i'd have to replace the whole unit up top (all the tacts) for the needle to stop shaking... it may be just because your car is a bit older it is time to change the unit. good luck, hope that helped a tiny bit.

Originally posted by Pony Pimpstress:

i'm not sure if it is the same solution... but with my stang i had a problem similar to that but my speedometer shakes horribly. i took it to the shop and they fixed the loose wires that were causing the lights to come on. they told me that i'd have to replace the whole unit up top (all the tacts) for the needle to stop shaking... it may be just because your car is a bit older it is time to change the unit. good luck, hope that helped a tiny bit.

don't let them rip you off...you just need a new speedo cable.

What they said, your car has a mechanical speedometer not an electical, so it is directly drive off a cable that is attached to the tranny. I'm sure the CEL had nothing to do with it. If you don't have a CEL anymore, don't worry about it. Sometimes you can get a misfire code etc. and the ECU will learn under what conditions the misfire occurs and eliminate the problem. Thats why when people "reset" the ECU it is generally not a good idea, becuase everything the ECU learned over all of those drive cycles has to be re-learned.

Originally posted by rl:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pony Pimpstress:

don't let them rip you off...you just need a new speedo cable.</font>thanks for the advice, i haven't done ne thing about it smile.gif i never watch the thing ne ways ;)

Guest FixHondas
90 Accords have an electrical speed sensor that is a common problem. If you have an automatic, the transmission will not shift properly and can be damaged.