Found A Blue Eyed Cicada

Wease

I was over by the zoo today, checking them out and sure enough, I look up at one in front of my face, and it's got blue eyes. Those are pretty rare. smile.gif I'll try and take pics of it tomorrow. If only that rumor of universities offering $1K for them was true... :(

Originally posted by SamZman:

pretty bored are ya? tongue.gif

Well, up where I live they seem to be pretty common. Drive on Riverside Dr., the sound is crazy. :eek: Actually, it wasn't that I was bored, a friend needed some bugs for a school project, so I figured a cicada would be cool. And my dogs freak out around flying insects that land on them, so I brought them along to see what they would do. :D However, since it just rained, they weren't flying, just hanging off of trees. And they can't grip dog hair, I found that out... ;)

All about cicadas. These things are all over the news, I can't believe there are people who haven't heard of them. If you live in a residential area, you more than likely will not have them. They like the edges of forest and will not be in areas of construction or where there had been digging in the last 17 years. That would have disturbed the ground where they were and killed them. This group was last present in 1987. They are harmless and more of a pest than anything else... smile.gif

I was at the Memorial Tourney yesterday and they were all over the place. My fiance was freaking out every time one would come close to her. I found it rather hilarious.

Oh, some guy was sittin beside me and one flew up his nose. That was pretty funny to watch him swat at it.

Guest Ponyfreak

A group of cicadas attacked a dog here in Cincy and killed it. They have big fangs and are more poisonous than a king cobra.

That is not how they killed the dog though. The flew around it making loud noises until its head exploded.

I captured one the other day and pulled its front legs off and watched its head pop off.

Originally posted by Ponyfreak.:

A group of cicadas attacked a dog here in Cincy and killed it. They have big fangs and are more poisonous than a king cobra.

That is not how they killed the dog though. The flew around it making loud noises until its head exploded.

I captured one the other day and pulled its front legs off and watched its head pop off.

graemlins/wtf.gif

Guest Tony_K

There haven't been any human deaths reported yet this year, AFAIK. I think after summer of 1987 the total in Ohio was somewhere around 30-40, which isn't bad when you compare it to areas like Tennessee or southern Kentucky, where there were a couple hundred.

Roll your windows up boys!

Guest busteryhyman
my brother caught a good couple hundred in our backyard in 1999 and threw them all in an old barrel and caught them on fire. now that's boredom

Guest Tony_K
Originally posted by Wease:

They aren't, it was a joke. ;) They don't sting or bite... graemlins/thumb.gif

Dammit, no one picked up the ball and ran with it! tongue.gif