Mature opinions please...

nurkvinny

I would like the board's advice.

As some of you know, my family owns a gas station / garage in Zanesville. It is on the main drag ( if Z-ville has such a thing ). When I was 14-22, our station was kind of like Krogers was last year... a lot of car guys shooting the shit and looking for races and/or pussy.

I haven't worked here for 6 years now. This summer, a whole new group of guys has begun hanging out after shop hours. Recently, the typical trash and bullshit has started showing up. Food wrappers, cig butts, bottles, etc. 3 weeks ago, I kicked about 25 guys out of our lot, with about 4 of them yelling F this and F that.

Well, tonight, there's the same 20-some dicks hanging out and being typical 16-21 year olds. The old man is torn between keeping the business property clean and trying to provide the last remaining place for semi-car guys to hang out.

So, should I just say F it, and keep kicking them out, or try to reason with them; telling them that their time here is short if they don't straigten up?

thoughts... ?

Originally posted by ImprezaWRX:

Tell them to respect the f'in place or go to hell. Thats cool you guys let them hang out but shit if they cant be mature about it screw 'em.

hate to say it vince but impreza is right

Originally posted by Car Enthusiast:

hate to say it vince but impreza is right

Yeah, deep down I know that's the only possible outcome. Figured I would just sit here in the office, have another beer, and try to chill out before I walked out there and said something that will end up sending me to the emergency room smile.gif

I just doubt 20-some teens can listen to reason. Although, it IS VERY FUN to kick their punk-asses out of here. smile.gif

Guest Luetic
get a bunch of trash cans and set them around. Ask them to help you keep this a cool place to hang out. Make it like they are takin' care of their turf, so to speak. You may get more help than you think doing it in a non-confrontational way.

Originally posted by NurkVinny:

Maybe we need a CR invasion of Zanesville once before the summer's out to teach the rice down here what a fast car is smile.gifsmile.gif

Im down. Thats great you let people hang out at your place of buisness but its a shame the dumbasses are not smart enough to respect it.Couldnt you call the police and have them tell them to either clean up there act or leave I know that sounds stupid but its Zanesville I would think there not that busy.

Just make up a sign, "We provide one of the last car enthusiast hang outs around, please respect our property and leave it the way you found it." Something of that nature.

Or you can just ask them if they could clean up before they leave, if they give you any guff, ask them to leave.

Trash cans - there are 6 cans and a dumpster within 50 feet of where everyone parks.

Police - only problem with this is that once we ask the police to get involved, it's all or nothing. Meaning, that they will kick everyone out, whether they're respecting rules or not. There are still a few older car guys with nice rides that show up a few times a summer to relive what the 'cruising' scene used to be.

Akula's sign idea - I like this idea; will give it some thought.

Luetic - I have (twice) gathered everyone around for a 1-on-20 discussions about the rules to hang out there. Both times worked for about 2 weeks.

The shame is (as usual) 90% of the poeple realize how to hang out without trashing the place, but they don't self-police the others. In the grand picture of things, a small station lot in Zanesville isn't really important, but I'm going to hate being the person to get rid of another once-nice car hangout spot.

There's just a big difference between 30 people standing around cars with the hoods up talking engines, and 30 people with neons, large systems, and fart pipes annoying our neighbors.

Enough rambling, I guess. We'll see what happens.

Tell them that they are responcable for hanging out there. If they don't enforce themselves boot them, it's your property.

if they slack off a couple weeks from now is it possable to kick everyone out for a few weeks?

Guest riggs867
Why not embrace the idea that people are going to be there, and make some money at it? You could setup a gas grill and cook hot dogs and JTM's (hamburgers) all night long. Sell the dogs for two bucks, the hamburgers for three bucks, and the bottles o' pop for one buck. A couple streamers and a stereo system, you will bring the people into your place of business, and maybe even build loyal customers. Make it an event, make a few bucks at it, and you are standing there to police the problem people yourself. If you could pull down a couple hundred bucks profit, you could hire a special duty police officer to be your enforcer. I have a feeling if the people there feel like they are part of something, and it is not an "after-dark" thing, they will police themselves. If you aren't sure whether this is a money-maker or not, stop over to Quaker Steak and Lube on a Wednesday night for Bike Night. Or, check them out on Saturday for a cruise in. Just my .02 anyway.

Just curious, but what's your shops name? I go down to Zanesville about once or twice a week, usually during the day, but whenever i'm down there at night, most people hang out near the mall or movie theatre/K-Mart parking lot. Oh, I like Matt's idea. that would definitely get them to respect the place more, and make a little money...

Originally posted by MotorcycleMatt:

Why not embrace the idea that people are going to be there, and make some money at it? You could setup a gas grill and cook hot dogs and JTM's (hamburgers) all night long. Sell the dogs for two bucks, the hamburgers for three bucks, and the bottles o' pop for one buck. A couple streamers and a stereo system, you will bring the people into your place of business, and maybe even build loyal customers. Make it an event, make a few bucks at it, and you are standing there to police the problem people yourself. If you could pull down a couple hundred bucks profit, you could hire a special duty police officer to be your enforcer. I have a feeling if the people there feel like they are part of something, and it is not an "after-dark" thing, they will police themselves. If you aren't sure whether this is a money-maker or not, stop over to Quaker Steak and Lube on a Wednesday night for Bike Night. Or, check them out on Saturday for a cruise in. Just my .02 anyway.

Interesting take on things, but 2 major issues with that:

- I'm married and live in Newark. I can't spend every weekend night there.

- No open flames allowed; we sell fuel.

The crowd was way down last week. I think they are getting the idea.

Originally posted by Bobby Lee:

most people hang out near the mall or movie theatre/K-Mart parking lot.

Yes, they do. That is, until they are booted out by the ZPD (happens every weekend night around 11pm). Then, they migrate south down Maple into whatever lot they can find.