Anyone else that just can't cope without smoking?

SlowZ06

I want to quit, but I fear I may kill someone if I do. I've never been addicted to anything other than cigarettes, (except maybe watching Lizzie McGuire smile.gif ) but I just can't remain calm without them. Anyone have a succesful cessation method?

Guest luciousjess
trying to quit sucks. i went to ultra lights and i just smoked more than i used to. i need someone to follow me around and smack me everytime i go to smoke. but i would probably just hit them back. : )

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by luciousjess:

trying to quit sucks. i went to ultra lights and i just smoked more than i used to. i need someone to follow me around and smack me everytime i go to smoke. but i would probably just hit them back. : )

How much are you paying? I can take the abuse and am more than willing to give it back if you light up.

Originally posted by luciousjess:

I'm for hire :D

Originally posted by Ricochet:

My parents quit about 10 years ago by going to a hypnotist. Sounds retarded but it cut them off cold turkey effectively..

I've heard a few people have had success with hypnotizing. I'm REALLY thinking about doing it myself.

$3.00 per day X 30 days in a month x 12 months = :eek:

I have heard great things about Zyban........or just plain waiting until you are ready.

Go to the library and look at some diseased lungs. Watch programs that show the effects of smoking etc.

If you want to quit you will...plain and simple, it comes down to what you want more, to smoke or not to smoke.

If it is something you enjoy doing, then don't quit.

Yes, it is harmful to your body (and your wallet,) but decide if the side effects of quiting outweigh the benefits.

IF you enjoy smoking, the smoke until either your health forces you to quit, or you are just ready to. My grandfather smoked 2 packs a day, and then just got bored with it and quit cold turkey after 30 years.

What is your motivation for quiting?

I smoked for probably 7 years (14-21)and I had tried quitting multiple times.... one day I sat down and really thought about it... How do people quit... I came to the conclusion that the only way to quit was to convince myself that I hated it... I know it sounds stupid, but look at the people that are ex-smokers... they bitch about smoking more than anyone I know.... so I decided to give it a shot.... it's now been 4 years and I had one relapse about 2 years ago... (I got stressed and smoked half a cig... I ended up dreaming that I was smoking and shit for like a month afterwards and wound up pissed at myself, but never went back to smoking)

honestly, I've told several people to do that... and the ones that honestly convinced themselves that they hated it were successful at quitting also.

Also make sure you have a strong support group for quitting... my g-f at the time was a bitch and purposely tried to get me to start smoking again... woo wee, what a bitch! :cool:

Good luck man!

so, heres how my mom did it...

for one month, every time you smoke, keep the butt and put it into a jar that has a screw on lid, like a masons jar. at the end of the month, quit cold turkey. take that jar with you, and whenever you feel like smoking, open up that jar and take a long sniff. trust me, after about a week, the urges will leave you. graemlins/puke.gif

I lost my beautiful 38 yr old mother to lung cancer and am watching my 48 yr old father have very serious problems breathing every day so pardon me if i'm a bit biased to this subject.

I'm not one to go up to someone and say "man your killing yourself" so i can get the typical, "its my body i'll do what i want with it" dumb ass response. I understand this, throw yourself in front of on coming traffic if it makes you happy, you are a free person. One thing you people should consider is not how it affects you but how it will affect your children and family when it finally catches up with you. Thats all i have to say on this, think about those that love you. You can't understand, unless of course you've been through it :( , what its like to watch someone like your mother die from something like cancer. For me it was pretty real when I thought about it and watched her struggle to breathe w/o an ass ton of pure oxygen.

Medications like Zyban and Wellbutrin are commonly prescribed to curb the cravings. A lot of it is psychological too. If you try to quit keep a cigarette close and when you get the urge put it in your mouth and inhale deeply, as if it were lit and you were taking a drag. If you do that along with taking medication or even chewing gum it will really help. Most insurance companies are now covering, very limited coverage though, medications to stop smoking. Most cover X day supply in a year, or even the life of the policy. That should at least get you started. If you prescription benefits are handled by Medco pm me with your info and I can check to see if you have any coverage.

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by Mr Blunt 2gnt:

I lost my beautiful 38 yr old mother to lung cancer and am watching my 48 yr old father have very serious problems breathing every day so pardon me if i'm a bit biased to this subject.

I'm not one to go up to someone and say "man your killing yourself" so i can get the typical, "its my body i'll do what i want with it" dumb ass response. I understand this, throw yourself in front of on coming traffic if it makes you happy, you are a free person. One thing you people should consider is not how it affects you but how it will affect your children and family when it finally catches up with you. Thats all i have to say on this, think about those that love you. You can't understand, unless of course you've been through it :( , what its like to watch someone like your mother die from something like cancer. For me it was pretty real when I thought about it and watched her struggle to breathe w/o an ass ton of pure oxygen.

Medications like Zyban and Wellbutrin are commonly prescribed to curb the cravings. A lot of it is psychological too. If you try to quit keep a cigarette close and when you get the urge put it in your mouth and inhale deeply, as if it were lit and you were taking a drag. If you do that along with taking medication or even chewing gum it will really help. Most insurance companies are now covering, very limited coverage though, medications to stop smoking. Most cover X day supply in a year, or even the life of the policy. That should at least get you started. If you prescription benefits are handled by Medco pm me with your info and I can check to see if you have any coverage.

Sorry about your parents man. Though truly sad, I hopr your story helps others. That is the main reason I want to quit. I love my fiancee and I wouldnt want to put her or my future kids through that agony. I think your post hit home and makes the dangers real. I dont hate when people say somthing about my smoking. It shows that they give a shit. Im not that nieve.