Opinions please [rant. pissed off]

Guest infamous me 235

Guest infamous me 235

Ok, i've had my car for like 6 months (maybe) and driven it once, which was one of the scariest days of my life. I bought the car thinking there was only something wrong with a belt, there was a grinding/ticking/ some noise that shouldnt be there. Ok, one heck of a deal. Boy, what was I getting myself into.

I take it to IPS to get a bottom end rebuild and to have them take a look at it. Well, it's almost done, but the ticking noise is still there, they said its the underdrive pulley, maybe, no biggie i guess. Well, now there's a million more things that they said need to be fixed. Starter, alternator, power steering pump, and some other things like that. It came out to be like a another $G added on my bill including labor. I don't know what to do, i'm beginning to think that maybe cars arn't for me or something. I'm debating to just parking the car in my backyard and fixing it a little at a time, like getting parts as I have money left over. Should I spend the extra Grand or more having IPS fix it or should I go put it in my backyard and hope to have it running by next summer and be driving a P.O.S Saturn that has duct tape holding the trunk down or do I say fuck it and sell it to some "me-hee-can" in my neighborhood for a decent amount? Then i'd just get a car that's a little fast stock.

What are some of your opinions please.

-Have IPS fix it for grand or more. (Or any shop for that matter)

-Fixing it a little at a time (saving some money)and hope for next summer

-Just sell it and buy a decent car.

TIA,

Cody redface.gif

Originally posted by Veni Vidi Vici:

Where do you recommend? I've been talking to Corey at www.slowmotionmotorsports.com and i'm sure I can take it to him and get a 2nd opinion on it.

Try him, or try one of the CR "backyard mechanics". There's always a margin of error you need to be aware of.

I'll take a look at it for ya. if anything I can just show you how to fix it. if you don't have money to pay labor thats where the biggest fees often come in. it isn't rocket science with a good shop manual and a decent set of tools anyone can fix up a car.

pm me if you want a hand

If it's a 2g motor, find a 1g motor somewhere COMPLETE, and have either Dave (gas,grass,ass) or Scott (Buckeye) do the swap for you. I'm no DSM mechanic by any means, but from what I have heard, that is the best bet if you have a 2g car. It will save you a lot of headaches.

You may even be able to do the swap yourself. It's always a good learning experiance.

Something sounds fishy there.

I seriously would not pay for the parts and labor of rebuilding the bottom end if that did not resolve your problem. You should not pay for something that you did not need in the first place. I'm saying don't need because it did not resolve problem. Makes me wonder where your money went and if they're acually doing the work.

PS/Alt/Starter was in good condition so I would think twice about paying for something that you probably won't need *AGAIN*.

He has a 1g car with 1g motor in.

Sorry about recommending the place. They just started and I found out how they do business after some time.

tell them to put it back together and drive it home.if it started under it own power and turned ok without leaking when you took it there...then it should do the same when you leave.get a second opinion on the noise from a resident dsm freak.

He has the revised lifters but I'm not sure if he has had them installed or not. It does not sound like a lifter tick though.

Either way. If it's a lifter tick then the shop should know this and let him know instead of doing all that work and it's still not fixed. Then turns around and tells him all these accessories all needs to be replace at the same time. Strange...

I will Look at the car for free And give you a second opinion.

Kirk's Service Center

3480-d Fulton Ave

Columbus 43232

614-506-3019

*On a side note I would not let them do a thing since they have

A. had the car for 6 months

B. Just know finding that it "needs" all this stuff. I can see a Itiem or two that might come up while doing indeph work but as a shop owner myself I say something sound fishy

"First of all, Cody WANTED the engine rebuilt because he did not trust what ALEX had told him about the engine. The car had MANY things that were either broken, hacked together, or missing. Cody was advised that rebuilding the engine would not fix the problem, but he wanted it rebuilt. A compression test was done and it was found the engine was not within spec anyway.The reason that so many things need replaced is because the person who worked on it previously (Alex) hacked the car up.Studs and bolts have been broken, wiring harness cut and then crudely tapped together, the valve cover was pouring oil from a missing seal, half of the bolts that hold the crank pulley to the crank were missing. Most of this was noticed within 5 minutes of the car being dropped off and was pointed out to Cody on the spot. This thread is evidence of the mob mentality persistent on this board when it comes to anything IPS related. Many people made assumptions based on a subject they know NOTHING about, never once stopping to think (or caring) if they were right or not. You should be ashamed of yousrselves.

Originally posted by The Vette:

Kinda funny how when IPS is involved in any work posted on CR everyone jumps on the band wagon to say get a second opinion.

So, you're saying that you wouldn't get a 2nd opinon if you took your car in for repair and after much $$$ in parts and labor your car's problem is still there?

Maybe you wouldn't...

Maybe you have so much money that you will just keep throwing it at people not caring on how the money is spent. But most people can't afford that. :(

I think if this is any other shop, with the same story, it will sound just as bad. At least to me.