new

sturg

hey hey hey new to the site (finally came over from Columbus racing)

Ive got and had an 87 honda nighthawk that i rebuilt in highschool. Now that college grad is around the corner id like to pickup a "new" bike. a friend just picked up a 07 ninja600 and took a spin on it...what a machine...tons of torque for any bike, muchless a stock 600!

a little about me im into firefighting, para-medicine and i work at a level 1 trauma center in columbus...so i hope not to see any of y'all soon! :D i worked at ask power sports the summer in between my senior year of HS and frosh year of college and had a blast, really got to absorb alot. ever since then i have been heavily into bikes. i also have an auto circle track racing history (two year on a coors cup team up at mansfield motor speedway)

Welcome to the site man! Which hospital do you work at? There are only a couple level 1's in C-bus. I am messin around in the ER here at OSUMC everyone once and a while.... But anyway, :welcome:

Its the level on trauma center that you aren't referencing :D (damn HIPAA). did a 17hr shift yesterday and got to watch a thoracotomy (chest getting cracked), put my hands inside him and actually massaged this guys heart. what do you do for OSUMC

I work in the Radiology Dept doing MRI research. I work in the ER when I need extra hours. I have been here for about 4 years now. Getting to see the cracking of a chest is pretty rare man. Consider yourself lucky. I have only seen it 3 times in all my years here. VERY interesting. Good times.... You still didnt answer my question tho, where do you work?

that looks like its gonna hurt when he wakes up. what is the reason for doing this.(cracking the chest)

to plug the proverbial dike. if someone get shot stabbed or through a blunt trauma and they end up with a hole in their heart, the quickest way is to crack the chest, plug it with you finger...you can also massage the heart, pushing blood through it trying to circulate blood to the body, and internally shock the heart if the heart has a conduction problem (as opposed to externally shocking the heart delivering electricity through the skin). That tong that looks like a poor excuse for a hotdog tong in right of the picture is used to deliver electricity directly to the heart... its just that easy :eek:

jeopardy fact of the day: the first The first successful 'prehospital' thoracotomy and cardiac repair was carried out by Hill on a kitchen table in Montgomery, Alabama in 1902 (Trauma.org)

that looks like its gonna hurt when he wakes up. what is the reason for doing this.(cracking the chest)

On this particular patient, considering how far they opened the chest and even pulled out a lung almost all the way, it was most likely for learning purposes. But, most of the time if the chest has to be cracked, the patient is pretty much dead anyway. I have never seen one survive. It is basically a last resort type of thing if the attending thinks there is any chance of survival. GSW(gun shot wounds) to the chest are a common one. If the bullet is lodged in the heart or surround area, they might crack open to try and remove it and then start pumping to try and save them. It is quite a site when the crack happens, looks like someone dumps a 5 gallon bucket of red paint on the floor. True story!

Def a true story, and one hell of a show! all the blood that escapes through the hole in the heart sits in the chest cavity and coagulates(turns from liquid to jello) when the chest cavity is opened(via the rib spreader you see in the picture) youll see the residents scooping handfulls of coagulated blood out on to the floor.

and yea since a thoracotomy is a last ditch effort, most all of them are for education purposes! little a&p review with hands on experience for whom ever wants it.