want fast internet upstairs

Guest tbirdchick

Guest tbirdchick
at my condo we have adelphia power link cable internet hooked up to my roomies computer, and i have a computer upstair and want the internet up there too, is there a way to get the fast internet up stairs with out adding another cable and box from adelphia? a wireless router or something? i don't know anything about this stuff any ideas how you go about doing it?

get a router, and then jsut run another hard wire from it to your room. you cna go wireless, wiht a wireless router and a wireless modem for your computer... but wireless tend to be slower than a hard line. so go 100ft of ethernet cable and run ya a line upstairs.

Originally posted by morabu:

wireless is nice, but if somebody in the next condo has wireless too they could possibly use some of your bandwidth, and vice versa! and also not very secure

hardwired is still the fastest, most secure, and cheapest

Don't give anymore computer advice. A wireless nework can be encrypted. It's actually VERY easy to do. (AHEM, Mike.)

like Jason said, wireless if you know what your doing can be very secure and will support more speed than your ISP can support. the one thing to worry about is the farther it is from the access point, the worse the connection and the slower it will run... for typical internet browsing etc... that should be fine though.. running CAT5e cables through your condo isnt a good idea, I'm sure the owner doesn't want you drilling up the walls.

Originally posted by The DropTop:

Don't give anymore computer advice. A wireless nework can be encrypted. It's actually VERY easy to do. (AHEM, Mike.)

I could set up encryption, but in order for it to be truly secure, I won't give out the WEP key to anyone *cough*you*cough*

Guest tbirdchick

my roomies dad owns the condo gave it to us, we only have to pay utilities.

but if somebody in the next condo has wireless too they could possibly use some of your bandwidth, and vice versa
both neighbors are the age 70+ so no worries there. any suggestion where i could get the equipment for a good deal... everything i would need to get it set up