Beer Review: Paulaner Salvator

Guest Ranger_Man

Guest Ranger_Man

Upon my first trip to the new Whole Foods I stumbled across this offering from Paulaner. At around 3 dollars for the 1 pint, .9 fl. oz. bottle and it being a double bock, I am holding this beer up to the strictest of standards. I hold this beer up to those standards because not only have I been spoiled by Paulaner in the past, but also, I love a good double bock and expect them to always be above average.

Bottle: As already stated, this bottle holds within 1 pint, .9 fl. oz. and is decorated rather nicely. The top label is not much to look at since it holds nothing of real value, or any information that I do not already know. However, the bottom label is very nicely done with what looks like a friar sharing a drink with a 17th century British nobleman. Underneath this is a big wood looking sign that has both the Paulaner logo and the name and type of the beer. For those of you not following along, the name and type would be Salvator and double bock, respectively.

Pour: A frothing maroon liquid bubbles up a nice half an inch plus of light tan head. The carbonation is quite evident in the brew but the head peters out into complete nothingness after a short amount of time. The beer smells of fresh malt.

Taste: Let this one warm up to around 50 degrees before drinking or you will think the beer to be utter trash as I know I did. Once to proper serving temperature, the beer opens up its flavors and welcomes you to a flood of biblical proportions.

The party starts with the mixing of taste and smell. As with other double bocks, the opening tastes are on the verge of brutality in both amount and force. This opening taste has hints of butterscotch, smoke, molasses and perhaps even a hint of honey. Mixing these tastes with the malt smell that you receive while bringing the glass up to your mouth makes the opening ballad just overpower anything left; it is as if you went to a concert and the main attraction played before the opening band. The bitter hop aftertaste is there, however, there is really nothing to speak about after that opening flood of flavor, at least nothing that stands up and makes you take notice.

Overall: I went into this review expecting a good double bock and got exactly what I wanted. I am one happy camper.

http://s90651370.onlinehome.us/salvator.jpg