Banking question (credit fraud?)

Moe7

Basically, My checking account somehow is $1766 short when I check it online (Fifth Third), leaving me with a large negative balance. Of course this has to happen on a Sunday when there's no customer service. When I call the automated system it says my balance is the correct amount, and there were no transactions since Friday (also correct), but my withdrawl balance is the incorrect amount. What are the chances of this just being a computer error? IF it turns out my number got stolen, how long does it normally take to get my money back and will I have to raise hell to avoid overdraw fees? :mad:

Originally posted by Mensan:

Been there, they make you sign a statement that says you did not make the purchases, and one that says you will help prosecute if they catch the theif. Then they will cover the entire amount.

How long did it take to get your money back? I've been hearing a few weeks, but I don't know how I'm going to manage that..

Originally posted by Mr. 2:

If the deposit was made on friday. It might not have your "available balance" updated untill today at midnight.

The thing is, even without the deposit my account is still ~$1400 short for no reason..

Thanks for all the help

..except Jon graemlins/finger.gif

Originally posted by Mr Blunt 2gnt:

so what happened? spill it

Honestly.. I'm not totally sure myself, but the manager I talked to said my balance was fine. He said the reason for the low transfer balance is because someone deposited a $1766 check into my account and it has a float on it for a few days, but I have no clue where the check would have come from. Just have to wait a couple days and see what the deal is.

Originally posted by Morgan:

Honestly.. I'm not totally sure myself, but the manager I talked to said my balance was fine. He said the reason for the low transfer balance is because someone deposited a $1766 check into my account and it has a float on it for a few days, but I have no clue where the check would have come from. Just have to wait a couple days and see what the deal is.

Maybe it's your tax return. 5/3 might not trust that the gov't is good for the money? ;) Glad everything is OK with your account.

CJ