Scrabble

Fonzie

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This igg Audio Help (ĭg) Pronunciation Key

tr.v. igged, igg·ing, iggs

To ignore or snub.

n. A snub or rebuff.

Our Living Language : Igg, a shortened form of ignore, seems to have come into American speech from jive, the special jargon of Black jazz musicians in the 1930s. Its use has since spread beyond musicians into African-American communities throughout the United States. The reduction of a word to its initial syllable is a common source of slang or informal words, especially among groups of speakers who for reasons of exclusivity like to remain avant-garde in their speech. Often such words come into general use, as in mike for microphone.

Let me double check. FYI....This is what Webster's comes up with........

Suggestions for igged:

1. egged 2. aggie

3. aggies 4. -ized

5. aged 6. edged

7. egghead 8. Eiger

9. egad 10. IgEs

11. ugedei 12. Oudjda

13. egads 14. itched

15. Egadi 16. Agade

17. Aguada 18. Oujda

19. eggheads 20. ujda

Alright......Just double checked WhoDey's source on my own, & it's legit. Play on.........

Last word was "Singers"

Alright.......This seems like a good time to discuss what sources we're going to allow, while waiting for Duane to respond. So far...I've been checking Webster's, & now American Heritage, along with a quick Google search. I found "paintery" on Urban Dictionary, but not sure how I feel about that as a source...........

paintery thumbsup.gif thumbsdown.gif

–verb (used with object), verb (used without object)

To make or become paintery.

A term coined by Genius Printing to describe the effect of turning a photo into a painting. How much that effect is applied is how 'paintery' the image is.

How paintery would you like the image?

BTW......Look up the def of "house" on Urban for shits & giggles.....#3 ;)