Console Port on Cisco Routers?

Guest 00Smurf

I have a Cisco 1700 Series router and a Cisco uBR900 Series cablemodem/router. they dont have normal terminal ports so how do i go about connecting to them to reset them to factory defaults? NEver dealt with the "console" port before.

Also does it also have a "aux" port?

(used to dealing with 26xx,36xx,72xx series)

You have a laptop and and Console Cable /adapter ?

If so simply fire up a term. emulator.

IE: Procomm.

Set port to 9600 baud.

And CR for prompt.

From there, it depends on the setup of the router..what you will see ect.

May have to perform password recovery...

Let me know if you need anymore help.

BTW these going up for sale ?

[ 29. September 2004, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: Oz Inmate ]

Not sure of the pin out but they are faily cheap.

Ebay has them for around ~5.00

http://search.ebay.com/cisco-console-adapter_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsotrZ2QQcoactionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

ITs just a adapter that takes the RJ45 (ethernet) connection from the console/aux port to a DB9 Serial connection which then plugs into the back of your PC/Laptop.

you can buy the console adapter at radio shack its a db9 to rj45 converter nothing complicated. are you familiar with the ios? do you know the enable and enable secret passwords or are you going to have to enter into recovery mode? i'll dig around the house and see what i got.

Originally posted by Drunkendubber:

you can buy the console adapter at radio shack its a db9 to rj45 converter nothing complicated. are you familiar with the ios? do you know the enable and enable secret passwords or are you going to have to enter into recovery mode? i'll dig around the house and see what i got.

recovery mode. I've had these sitting around my house for a while, i dont remebr what the origional passwords were. from what i have read alls i have to do is login and set it to factorydefaults. its jsut gettign it conencted that is the problem.

How much are radio shacks adapters.