computer data recovery?

large_x7

Does anybody know of any (preferrably free) data recovery programs for a PC? Most of the ones that I've seen so far, like Norton Ghost, require you to image your hard drive before you lose data. Which doesn't really help me now. I accidentally formatted and installed Windows on the wrong partition and wrote over a bunch of important stuff, so I want to get it back. I know there are data recovery places that I can send my drive to, but I would just as much try and do it myself. Thanks.

Most programs you can use (free or otherwise) are something you have to have on your drive before you delete. Either they have you write an image or they keep one on their own. I don't know of any programs that can go in and recover any data thats been deleted if they weren't on the computer before hand. I know of some people who could do it, but not really sure how to get ahold of most of them anymore, and they would charge for their time. Any data that has been completely written over though is gone for good.

I understand that. But I did a quick format of my hard drive, and then installed Windows. The stuff that Windows wrote over is probably gone, but the rest of the stuff that was on the drive should still be there, since a quick format doesn't actually delete data, it just tells the computer that the data clusters are available to be written over. I have heard of services where you ship your hard drive out, and they will recover the data for you, but I was wondering if there was any way that I could do it myself.

Yeah. Windows usually goes on the "primary" hard disk. I formatted my "secondary" hard disk, which had all my mp3s, games, and pictures from the last 4 years of my life (which I'm most upset about!). When I originally built the computer, I had a Raid on the two hard drives, but I decided to scrap that idea after one of the hard drives failed. Let me know what you would recommend. I have found a couple of programs online, but none of them have worked so far. I need a program that will recover data after a reformat. All of the ones I have found just recover data that is lost through Windows (empty the recycle bin, lost file, etc...) Thanks for your help.

That one seems to work. It's the fourth one I've tried. I'll have to purchase a license to actually recover the data (I can only see the files now), althought it is $67! I guess you pay for what you get. Good find, though, thanks.

Guest doggunracing
Originally posted by large_x7:

That one seems to work. It's the fourth one I've tried. I'll have to purchase a license to actually recover the data (I can only see the files now), althought it is $67! I guess you pay for what you get. Good find, though, thanks.

You have PM.