local nuclear facilities?

copperhead

I was wondering if there are any kinds of nuclear facilities of any kind around here? Yesterday, Joneze, his girlfriend Toni and I went to Zanesville, and on I70 we passed a semi with a flatbed trailer. The trailer had wide load signs, and on it, was a very large, grey metal container that had "Radioactive" stenciled on the side. Following it was a large tow truck capable of towing the semi, and a statey with the red and blues on.

My question is, does anyone have any clue what this might be? At first I thought it might be radioactive waste, but it didn't say waste anywhere. My second guess was missile warhead :D

Guest Crankshaft
Originally posted by copperhead:

I was wondering if there are any kinds of nuclear facilities of any kind around here? Yesterday, Joneze, his girlfriend Toni and I went to Zanesville, and on I70 we passed a semi with a flatbed trailer. The trailer had wide load signs, and on it, was a very large, grey metal container that had "Radioactive" stenciled on the side. Following it was a large tow truck capable of towing the semi, and a statey with the red and blues on.

My question is, does anyone have any clue what this might be? At first I thought it might be radioactive waste, but it didn't say waste anywhere. My second guess was missile warhead :D

<font color ="midnightblue"> There's also one on lake Erie. And saying, "Waste" would be superfluous. Radioactive is sufficient information and warning to anyone authorized or not who's involved with the towing of the container. The public doesn't need to know that radioactive waste is being towed down the highway, they just need to know that whatever's inside could be harmful.

Missle Warheads aren't shipped on that kind of truck, in fact you wouldn't know it if you saw it. Not that I know.... smile.gif

It could have been a pressure vessel for a plant, if it fit on a flat bed it was probably bound for either Groton CT or San Diego and is going in a ship/sub.

Originally posted by satan:

my $0.02:

probably battelle. their nuclear, chemical, and biological research facility is out in west jeff near our garage. they always have shit like that going down rt142. us70 is how you get there.

He's probably right, I forgot all about Batelle

Originally posted by copperhead:

West Jefferson, OH - Battelle Memorial Institute does some pretty heavy stuff out there...

Originally posted by LJS Pirate #1:

IT was really scary/weird to see.

Giant greay box with "RADIOACTIVE" on the side.

And big ass locks containing it.

Alot less scary then seeing a stack of fishbowls full of green fluid with "RADIOACTIVE" written on the side of them. ;)

And Hoop-D beat me to it, BMI has been involved with radioactive material since its inception, back during the Manhattan project. They still have weapons grade materials at their king ave location.

[ 06. October 2004, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: BrockSamson ]

There are alot of them around here. Depends on what you consider close.

http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operating/map-nonpower-reactors.html

http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operating/map-power-reactors.html

There's a few commercial plants, any more info can be found here: http://www.nrc.gov/