Auto Tech school's, opinions

HotCarl

I'm in the process of searching for an Auto Tech school to attend in the summer/fall of '05. I would like some outside input on my decision, any other school's i should be considering? your personal experience with any school's (good or bad)? what would you recommend?

So far my list include's:

1.Wyotech (blairsville, Penn)

2.Univ. Northwestern of Ohio (Lima,OH- No relation to NW in chicago)

3.Ohio Tech. inst. (cleveland)

So far my main criteria is small class size, alot of hand's on interation, and geographic location, and some manufacter sponsored class/programs with some sort of job placement afterwards. Most of my family is in the process of moving to Cincy so it would be nice not to have a 3+ hour drive to go home. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I will be attending UTI in Az in april.

I looked at wyotech in Pa and would advize againest that location. The school was pretty good but there is so few houseing that they have you rent a room off a resident of the tiny town that it is in.As well as there appeared to be a BIG lack of jobs in a close drive from the school. Unless you plan on mom and dad supporting you that is a biggy

Plus UTI places more students in the factory program than any other. If factory placement is important to you than you shold look at UTI's schools in Exton,Pa or Glendale heights,IL.

I did hear good things about Nashville But I was impressed with what I saw first at UTI and also I kinda wanted to get to the west coast/outa Col for a while. So Nash. did not fit my wants as well.

Doug i have a friend who goes to NW of Ohio right now. im planning on going up with him in the next week or so.

Also, the BMW program was the one that looked the best to me. While looking at their site it show's that only a few selected site's are able to do the BMW program. And the only one in/near ohio is Ohio Tech. in cleveland. I Don't really want to go to a school for a year or so just to move again for only 6 or so month's then have to move again. So, pending a tour of UNO and Ohio Tech. im leaning toward's Ohio Tech.

I'd love to move to AZ for a year or so, haven't really checked out UTI mainly b/c all of their campus' are far away (save for the chicago campus).

oh and scott, that is exactly what i wanted to stay away from. ie, small college town, not alot of jobs, not alot of student housing. At least in cleveland they have student dorms and part-time job placement while you attend school.

Guest tbirdchick
UNO is a pretty good school. i know several ppl who just graduated from there. 3 of them had pit crew jobs for top fuel drag teams with in a month. one is working for Mike of the Army drag team. from what i heard the classes aren't too bad as far as class size goes. may wanna check it out.

Originally posted by rallychick:

UNO is a pretty good school. i know several ppl who just graduated from there. 3 of them had pit crew jobs for top fuel drag teams with in a month. one is working for Mike of the Army drag team. from what i heard the classes aren't too bad as far as class size goes. may wanna check it out.

20 is as big as they get.

I like UNO because it is a little more laid back. And their hi-po engine program is awesome. Wyotech on the other hand seemed very strict and had a great hot rod/body shop. UNO doesn't have a body shop, but we just bought a whole bunch of land so were probably going to get one. I will probably be graduated by then though.Also the 4 hour drive compared to the hour and a half drive played a huge role in the deciding factor.

Originally posted by el aguila:

If you like big belt buckles, 4 wheel drive, 33" super swampers, 6" lifts, cummins, corn, and chew then UNO is the place for you.

I have a friend who attend's, he has told me all about it. I have also heard the stories about the 16 second "drag" celica, stripped and running slicks... sad.

oh and CJINOH, i haven't heard any good things about that program. As far as im concerned Ford prostitutes their program to any/all school's who will take it. Cols State's auto program in general isn't too impressive from what i've heard. However dayton has an awesome auto program at their community college, Sinclair.

Originally posted by harry's94tsi:

I have a friend who attend's, he has told me all about it. I have also heard the stories about the 16 second "drag" celica, stripped and running slicks... sad.

oh and CJINOH, i haven't heard any good things about that program. As far as im concerned Ford prostitutes their program to any/all school's who will take it. Cols State's auto program in general isn't too impressive from what i've heard. However dayton has an awesome auto program at their community college, Sinclair.

Ahahaha...yea and what's sad is the teacher is the one working on it. Also forgot to add john deere, detroit, cat, and nut hugger jeans and mullets.

Aside from all the BS that gets thrown around up here, the teacher to student ratio is great and they'll help you with anything.

education=good

students=bad

One of my son's goes to UNO. Started Sept 2004. He likes the school, says Lima is a shithole and there are a lot of kids from small towns (pickup truck driving NASCAR types according to him.) They do 6 week sessions and you dont get to pick your classes, so he got a/c, sales,math,business classes first. It's also best to get your own housing.

Originally posted by JGR:

One of my son's goes to UNO. Started Sept 2004. He likes the school, says Lima is a shithole and there are a lot of kids from small towns (pickup truck driving NASCAR types according to him.) They do 6 week sessions and you dont get to pick your classes, so he got a/c, sales,math,business classes first. It's also best to get your own housing.

Who's your son?

Doug,

My youngest son is Matt R. Drove a Blue First Gen.RX7 with a homemade Turbo setup till it died. I think he'll do well with the Mechanic Trade and has found a lot of friends at UNO. If you know him tell him his dad said to slow down. Good Luck in school. Jim

hey Harry its Brian...probably not the way to make a first post but I go to UNO and i love it. the hands on experience is awesome. yes the 33" swampers, 20" suspension lifts are a little annoying. but most of them do auto diesel. Mr. Morgan is a steering and suspension instructor and has written a book about drag cars that Jegs sells and has worked on many drag cars himself. so instructors do have the experience necessary.

my $.02

Originally posted by JGR:

Doug,

My youngest son is Matt R. Drove a Blue First Gen.RX7 with a homemade Turbo setup till it died. I think he'll do well with the Mechanic Trade and has found a lot of friends at UNO. If you know him tell him his dad said to slow down. Good Luck in school. Jim

I know what car you're talking about (or at least I think I do). Does your son live at S&P Apartments?

+1 on Mr. Morgan's book. I took a look at it and it's very in depth and is awesome to having a teacher who writes his own material.

quote:

-------------------------------------------------

originally posted by el aguila:

I know what car you're talking about (or at least I think I do). Does your son live at S&P Apartments?

Yes i think those are the apartments he moved into. He's trying to get another motor and get that thing running again. Hope all you guys in Lima are warm & dry. Jim

go to NTI in North Carolina. thats where im going now. its a division of UTI. its sponsored by nascar. if you want learn about building performance engines go there. the school is really nice and the instructors really seem to know what they are talking about. this area is a lot nicer then the UNO area. the only bad thing about down here is that its the south. a lot of the people down here seem to think we are still in the civil war.