Anybody else get told on interviews u are over qualified??

CJINOHIO03

i haven't personally, but know people that have. while it does sound stupid at first, sometimes it just comes down to needing just a 'basic' person, someone they can 'mold'.

putting it simply, it's very easy to teach someone to golf...but you try and change their swing after they've been playing for years and it's very difficult.

Guest stvbreal
I have, with Cardinal Health. What gets me is that the person interviewing me doesn't know his/her ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to the IT industry. Yet this person is making employment decissions. I also had to call to find out I was overqualified. I got the last laugh though. Shortly after the rejection Cardinal Health was indicted and is being investigated for bad budgetting and missing money. :D

I get the over qualified thing, it doesn't mean over qualified. It means they want to pay less for the person they want.

Every employer wants the guy (or gal) that can really bring something to the organization. They also want this person for the least amount of money possible. I have found that once you reach a certain salary level they are happy to interview you but would prefer someone "less qualified" or in other words "less expensive".

Originally posted by Akula:

I get the over qualified thing, it doesn't mean over qualified. It means they want to pay less for the person they want.

Every employer wants the guy (or gal) that can really bring something to the organization. They also want this person for the least amount of money possible. I have found that once you reach a certain salary level they are happy to interview you but would prefer someone "less qualified" or in other words "less expensive".

This man speaks the truth. I hired employees using this logic. Now, in a cruel twist of fate, I am repeatedly rejected for this very reason.

I had that happen... when I applied at mc'donalds. Times were tough, and money was money and the fact I had no working vehicles at the time sort of limited me to walking distance for places. They took the app, looked it over and the guy kept making excuses for not having me come in. Finally they said I needed to be working some where suited more towards my skill set. Good game.

I got that also when I went in for an interview for the job I have now. I was just out of college and was applying for an entry level job. I knew I was over qualified but no one will higher someone with out any work experience in the Accounting field.