Gaming system

dustinsn3485

Which system  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which system

• PS3
    • XBox 360
    • Other (what and why)

Alright so I need to buy a DVD player for the new house to go with the entertainment system

I've basically decided that I may as well buy either the XBox 360 or the PS3. That way it serves the dual function of DVD's and pass the time playing games.

So DVD abilities aside, b/c they both play DVDs (yes PS3 has Blu-ray), which one has better games and more functionality?

Thoughts, opinions?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what kind of games do you want to play? the wii is for all ages. the games are fun but some of them are kind of cheesy. its a system that a 5 year old or an 85 year old can play with ease. also, a lot of the really cool games are not made for wii.

i think the best games are on the 360, but its sad that the actual unit is a piece of shit. RROD, disc read errors etc. of like 7 of my friends with 360's 5 of them have had RROD. but MS fixes it for free, you just dont have your system for a while.

now, if you want to buy a blue ray player for your home theater, id probably just get a ps3... blu ray players are like 300 dollars and up. you can get a ps3 for 400, so you get a blu ray AND you get to play games.

Games: doesn't really matter, some racing, some first person shooters, football, etc... Not really into gaming much anymore..I've got battlefield 2 on the computer and play it a bit...

Like I've said its primarily for the DVD. And I want a good DVD player. As you said blu ray players are a nice chunk of money so I figured I'd double up and get a player/gaming system.

I guess the thing I've seen with the 360 is the xbox live. you can watch a large selection of HD movies for free. I thought that was pretty cool and as of now ps3 doesn't have that. But I understand they might have it soon however.

I guess I'll hold off buying into the whole Blu-Ray thing 'til it proves it's longevity. Most of you guys are probably too young to remember the laser disks & Beta Max of the 80's, or those ginormous old satellite dishes

This aint my first rodeo, and Blu-Ray's still too new for me to believe/buy into it being "the One"

Any other technology coming down the pike is not going to play with the current TV's out there. Laser disc vs VCR was a different type of war..different formats media all together.

if you are looking for the best DVD player and a gaming system all in one, get the PS3. If you want to play the most game , it's the 360. The PS3 is coming along nicely...especially this year. MGS 4 is crack. So don't count it out for gaming.

......you guys are probably too young to remember the laser disks & Beta Max of the 80's, or those ginormous old satellite dishes
Laser disc vs VCR was a different type of war..different formats media all together.

Understood......But Beta vs. VHS was the same format media......Both tapes

If you're really just looking for a DVD player, go with the PS3. HD-DVD has already been dropped and Blu-Ray is the winning format for High-Def DVD's. I love my 360 especially with LIVE, and all my friends have 360's, but like you, I'm thinking of getting a PS3 for Blu-Ray.

"...you can watch a large selection of HD movies for free." Where did you hear/see that? If you're talking about the content on LIVE, you pay for it, it's not free. Movies and stuff on there cost Microsoft Points, which you have to buy those points with money...

Wii for the win! Get you off your ass while playing!

The Wii is good shiz. I have one myself as well. Usually gets attention when you have friends over, especially those who normally wouldn't play games. Lotta fun, especially when drunk (just make sure the Wii-mote is strapped to your wrist! rofl).

"...you can watch a large selection of HD movies for free." Where did you hear/see that? If you're talking about the content on LIVE, you pay for it, it's not free. Movies and stuff on there cost Microsoft Points, which you have to buy those points with money...

Hmm. Interesting, I thought live was free with the 360. Didn't really here, just assumed.

I had read a little, but never found anything conclusive saying you pay or don't pay.

So far sounds like PS3 is more suited for what I want.

I love my 360 and don't see a point in also owning a ps3. I do have a Nintendo Wii, though. Honestly, buy a console for gaming and buy a blu-ray player separately. I think watching movies and such on a console is extra wear and tear that doesn't need to happen. Maybe I'm biased bc I own the RROD-prone 360, but that's just my opinion. Happy gaming all!

Understood......But Beta vs. VHS was the same format media......Both tapes

Right, and once the war ended, everyone settled down with VHS. Sony had the better format (technology wise), but made bone head moves. This time, they got Hollywood behind BluRay...which was the difference. HD-DVD was a format best served for PC's. If the majority of Hollywood is supporting BluRay...and the majority of movies are going to be on BluRay...it was just a matter of time.

This fight is over. The next fight will be a totally different media/technology and will not have anything to do with this generation.

Someone just announced (Japan) that they can now fit 42GB on a dual layered standard DVD. Great!! Except it won't work with current players. Do you think that's going anywhere? Nope.

I love my 360 and don't see a point in also owning a ps3. I do have a Nintendo Wii, though. Honestly, buy a console for gaming and buy a blu-ray player separately. I think watching movies and such on a console is extra wear and tear that doesn't need to happen. Maybe I'm biased bc I own the RROD-prone 360, but that's just my opinion. Happy gaming all!

The PS3 doesn't have those issues. It's not fanboy-ism..it's a fact. The 360 has a flaw in its design where it's generating too much heat from the chipset. The newer 360's were modified. You can tell if its the newer chipset because there is a yellow sticket near the UPC code.

Again, if you're primary goal is to watch HD, PS3 wins. Sure you can get a separate player..but the PS3 is a top notch player and you can save a set of inputs by combining both functions. Plus, you only have to calibrate the inputs once. Trust me...I was one who didn't want to use my PS3 as a movie player...but once you watch a Blu Ray movie on a decent DLP, LCD or Plasma, you will be hooked. There is a BIG difference.