Sniper rifles

Devils Advocate

Oh lord, I didnt explain why because youw ill all make fun of me. I turn 18 in like a week, and all of you always talk about how many godam guns you have, so I was considering buying one. I'm not going to go nuts or anything. I have to get a rifle, since I have to be 21 to have a pistol. I hate AK's and such, so I figured I'd try sniper rifles. :rolleyes:

Guest Rane
Yup, didn't know you could get an AK at 18 though. Does this count as a concealed weapon and what all do you have to do to become able to own one.

If this is your first REAL rifle, don't go out and get a .223 or anything too big for you. I'd just start off with a ruger 10/22, they're accurate as hell, fun to shoot, and cheap to buy .22 LR. Big rifles are fun, but .308 and larger calibers travel a long ways, so back stops and enough land are a must. But if you want a TRUE "sniper" rifle you'll be lookin at spending well over $600. I paied 800 or so for a Romanian Dragonov chambered in 7.62X39mm (AK47 ammo). I reccomend stopin by the gun show at the franklin co. fairgrounds.

Originally posted by MadMalibu:

Scott, please dont tell me you consider a .223 a "real" rifle. graemlins/nonono.gif

When we go shooting, i'll bring my REAL rifle and let you squeeze off a few ;)

-Marc

For a kid just learning to shoot, a .223 would probably scare him. I'm used to 40mm grenades, HE rounds, .50 cals etc... .308 and all that is just child's play to me ;)

Originally posted by Sapper21B:

For a kid just learning to shoot, a .223 would probably scare him. I'm used to 40mm grenades, HE rounds, .50 cals etc... .308 and all that is just child's play to me ;)

Like I said, you can shoot my rifle...7mm Mag. We'll see how you do big man. :cool:

-Marc

well, my m16a2, and the SAW i carried were both .223, so, you tell me, were they real rifles? :rolleyes:

a .223 would make a decent sniper rifle, as long as you used teflon coated rounds. hell, with steel jackets, i hit all of my 300 meter targets when i was in basic. easiest way to get a more accurate rifle is to invest the money in the shooter. someone who knows what theyre doing can be scary with almost any decent rifle.

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by Sapper21B:

I paied 800 or so for a Romanian Dragonov chambered in 7.62X39mm (AK47 ammo).

Are you sure thats not 7.62x54? If not then could you tell me why in the crap you bought a Duraganov (IIRC desgined for the wonderfully powerful 7.62x54) chambered for the piddly little 7.62x39?

I don't mean to be rude I genuinely curious if theres some reason that a Duraganov with a smaller cartridge would be any better. I've wanted a Duraganov since I found out it used the same cartridge as my Mosin-Nagant carbine, 7.62x54 kicks ass IMHO. Unforunately most Durag's go for at least $900. If you're buying for the 7.62x39, $700 will get you one hell of an AK-47.

Back on topic, +1 to the .22 rifle. You also don't seem to have a whole lot of firearms experience or a gun friendly relative to teach you. Please, as a favor to the entire shooting community, take a rifle safety class. Its bad for the whole gun owning community if you were to make a newbie mistake and hurt someone else.

Guest 10secondMouse
For a beginner go buy a Ruger mini 14, fun to shoot and very reasonable. If you want to get crazy, go with a Ruger model 77 MKII VLE in .308 or Blaser R93 tactical in .308, but these will run about $1800.00 each.