Beer Review: Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

Guest Ranger_Man

Guest Ranger_Man

This beer is another oddity from the guys and gals of Dogfish Head Brewery. The 90 Minute IPA is one of many of Dogfish’s premium beers. Dogfish’s website says about their IPAs that,

“Our family of Indian Pale Ales includes the 60 Minute I.P.A. and the 90 Minute Imperial I.P.A.. Both feature our unique continuous hopping program, where they receive a single hop addition that lasts over the course of the entire boil (60 and 90 minutes respectively). This breakthrough hopping method makes for a beer that is extremely hoppy without being overly bitter.”

This, being the 90 Minute, would mean that this beer, during its’ creation, was boiled with hops for a full 90 minutes. Many beers are boiled no longer than 45 to 60 minutes which means that a 90 minute boil is exceedingly long and very rare.

Bottle: Both labels are a peach color with maroon and black accents. The top label holds nothing of severe importance. However, the bottom label has not only the brewery and beer names, but also this fairly important piece of information,

“What you have here is an Imperial India Pale Ale featuring a single, constant 90 minute hop addition. It’s balanced by a ridiculous amount of English two-row barley. Then we dry-hop it in every tank.”

Lastly, the bottle comes in a 4 pack and the beer is 9% alcohol by volume.

Pour: Upon glass entry, a medium sized head rests itself atop a reddish-gold liquid. The head is made of incredibly fine bubbles that eventually start to fade away into a fine lace that clings happily to the glass. An immensely small amount of carbonation is visible through the glass. The smell… the smell is that of nature; complex in both form and function. The formation of the aroma is beautiful in a way that is entirely mind numbing. Flowers, citrus and spice all bombard the sense of smell at the same time and over power it completely. The mixing and the flavor of the bouquet can easily make one all giddy inside while waiting for the taste to begin.

Taste: Few beers in this world have ever made me sit back, quit life for awhile and just enjoy the taste. This beer does just that and more…

Like a fine piece of classical music, this beer serenades you before building up to a crescendo of a gigantic magnitude. The brew starts off with a floral explosion that rocks your taste buds with an Earth shattering violence. Orchid, lemon and sugarcane mix together to form the perfect taste storm that zaps your taste buds into action. The lemon and citrus tones continue over into a profoundly long drawn out spice-capade that has accompanying hints of raisons, cinnamon apples and coriander. The spice taste lasts for what seems like forever and then things take a turn. All of these great spice tastes turn and leave the party and all that is left is bitterness; a bitterness that is so great that it burns. The bitterness sits there in the back of your mouth, mocks you and slaps you in the face and screams, “I AM AN IPA AND YOU SHOULD *HATE* ME!” However, when all is said and done you don’t hate it but you love it, and you want more.

Overall: I have had this beer before many times and I have recommended this beer to many people. I have put off reviewing this beer for quite some time as I had to actually sit down and plan the attack. This is the first beer that I have ever worried about reviewing because I knew that I had to do the beer justice and a simple review would not cut it. Since the microbrewery craze began, finding good beers has become easier and easier, however, finding truly great beers is still very challenging. Dogfish Head’s 90 Minute IPA is a masterpiece that needs to be enjoyed and savored. With that said, even if you do not like beer, try this offering. 90 Minute IPA is simply amazing and is easily the best IPA I have ever, ever, had.

Dogfish Head is quite possibly the best brewery in the United States. They have time and time again shown me that they brew world class beers and I can only imagine what fun the master brewer at Dogfish has coming up with new ideas. I hope whoever he or she is continues to come up with new ideas because I love trying them.

http://s90651370.onlinehome.us/90minute.jpg

Dogfish head is the bomb, raison d'etre is my personal favorite of the 2. Have you ever reviewed Victory Brewing Golden Monkey??? It is a belgian triple ale... I feel it is extremely good and is worthy of a review if you can find it to try.

Garrett

Guest Ranger_Man

Yes, you should be able to find it at the Anderson's.

I have had Raison D'etre and I prefer this one more. I have not seen anything from Victory Brewing available here in Texas. You, however, should try to find some Allagash.

Allagash? never heard of it. Is that the brewerys name? If so what types of beer do they produce and which is one of their better ones. With my luck i'll find it and get the worst of the bunch.

As for Victory they are located about 30-40 miles south west of Philly. Here's a link to their site if you didn't already find it...

http://www.victorybeer.com/

Garrett