Beer Review: Samuel Smith Taddy Porter

Guest Ranger_Man

Guest Ranger_Man

Hailing from England enters Samuel Smith Taddy Porter. The brewery is known as the Old Brewery since it was established in 1758, making it Yorkshire’s oldest brewery. I picked this up at Central Market in a 4 pack for a rather steep $7.99.

Bottle: A completely clear (I found this out once I poured the beer) 12 oz. bottle with a white, black, red, and gold label sits starting at the world. The neatest thing about this bottle is the Samuel Smith trademark. This trademark is a quadrilateral shape with a picture of a barrel in the center. Surrounding the barrel is, “The Old Brewery.” “Tadcaster” and “Samuel Smith” on the bottom and middle, respectively, make the trademark complete. The top of the bottle is covered in gold leaf which adds a nice contrast to the darkness of the beer inside.

Pour: As a porter should, this beer delivers up a dark tan head of medium stature and flexes a dark body which is impenetrable by even the strongest of ceiling fan lights. No carbonation is readily present and the smell is of well done popcorn.

Taste: Think back in time, all the way back to December 1964. Think of Motown and The Temptations. Now picture them singing, “My Girl.” Got it? Ok, that is exactly what this beer tastes like.

Just like “My Girl”, with its strong bass at the start, Taddy Porter starts off with a strong roasted malt euphoria that calls to attention any taste buds that have been slacking while on duty. This malt taste has hints of espresso, caramel and toffee all intertwined together.

In “My Girl”, the bass line goes into a guitar twang that sets the listener up for the rest of the song. In Taddy Porter, this guitar twang is echoed in similarity by the carbonation. The carbonation completely eliminates any lingering roasted malt flavors and clears the way for the rest of the beer. Without this cleansing the beer would be unable to accomplish what it set out for; just like in the song, without the guitar you would not have the harmony with the bass.

It is then that in both the song and the beer that it truly comes alive. David Ruffin opened his mouth and what came out was pure harmony. Mixing Ruffin’s voice with the background singers (Melvin Franklin, Paul Williams, Otis Williams and Eddie Kendricks) created magic. With the hop finish Taddy Porter accomplishes the same feeling as the hop finish is strong, yet subtle. Tasting of lemon zest and a small arrangement of spices, the hop finish balances the strong malt beginnings and creates a harmony that only The Temptations have equaled.

Overall: David sings, “What can make me feel this way?” Failing women, Taddy Porter can make you feel that way. I can now say that I have had two amazing porters in my lifetime, this being one of them. This beer is rather expensive for only being a 4 pack but it is honestly worth every penny.

http://s90651370.onlinehome.us/taddyporter.jpg