Dell DJ 20GB vs. Apple Ipod 20GB?

Bam

Is there anything I should watch out for? The major thing that sucks is there are no Dell stores around so I can see the DJ in person before ordering.

Here's the downlow

Apple Ipod - 20gb, approx 5,000 songs, and I can get it four $269 new w/ my student discout.

Dell DJ 0 20gb, approx 9,900 songs, and its $194 shipped from Dell w/ a coupon.

The MAIN thing I care about is being able to hardwire one of these into my car stereo and being able to use my headunit to control the player. I know I can do this with the IPOD, but can I do it with the DJ? That's the deciding factor, because so far I've heard about the same for both.

Thanks

Matt

Steve is an Apple humper, don't listen to him. tongue.gif

I don't know about the DJ and car stuff, check out http://www.delldjsite.com - a lot of good stuff on there.

I just bought a DJ for a couple of reasons:

1. It's a Dell, and they make great quality shit. I only buy Dell for already made PC stuff.

2. Price is hard to beat

3. I got a new DJ30 for less than an ipod 20, with an action jacket, better accessories, and a better warranty.

I owned an ipod 15 for about three weeks and then returned it. The software sucked. The battery life was sub-par. The interface was not intuitive enough. The sound quality and volume level was okay. About the only thing I really liked was the click-wheel control thingie.

like said above, 20 gigs is 20 gigs

interfacing through your car stereo depends more on the stereo than anything. The CD player in my truck has RCA inputs on the back, I've got an RCA to 3.5mm adapter cable that plugs into the headphone out jack on my laptop. That's my MP3 player.

You can also go with an RF adapter that transmits over FM band, it's the easiest way but lowest sound quality.

Creative Zen Touch

Customer service ++++++++++

iPod battery dies after ~ two years...costs $255 to replace and you have to send it to the factory.

Every one of my friends' new iPod's has had a glitch and needed to be fixed within 3 months of new.

I've heard complaints about iPod software on PC's getting glitchy.

I don't know how much the headunit thing means to you but for all those risks, it wouldn't be worth it to me.

You people are so misinformed about the iPod it makes me sad.

First off, I sold my 10GB iPod to a guy here at work, and the battery is still holding a full charge after 3 1/2 years. That's about 10 hours or straight play on an old old battery. The new batteries are even more amazing. I charge my iPod mini once a week.

It does not cost $255 to get your iPod battery replaced even by Apple. They charge $90 to do it for you. You can get the battery and necessary tools to open the iPod for $40. That's even if it does go out, which isn't likely. Also people that have problems usually don't break in their batteries correctly, or let the iPod die at least once a month to keep the chemicals fresh.

As for iTunes, it's the most simple music program I have ever used. It's cake to operate and as soon as I hook up my iPod it takes no time to update my iPod then eject.

Also, iPods will break. It's a given that electronic devices are fragile, especially ones with moving parts such as hard drives.

Apple's customer service is second to none. Just check Consumer Report's ratings.

Any more rumors or heresay I can dispell smile.gif

Originally posted by 00 T/A:

As for iTunes, it's the most simple music program I have ever used. It's cake to operate and as soon as I hook up my iPod it takes no time to update my iPod then eject.

If you have a MAC... graemlins/puke.gif

Originally posted by o)(o:

If you have a MAC... graemlins/puke.gif

I use iTunes for Windows at work with no problem. I've also had to set up iTunes on coworkers computers who were fed up with using other media players. They can barely use computers but they can work iTunes just fine. :shrug:

Originally posted by 00 T/A:

I use iTunes for Windows at work with no problem. I've also had to set up iTunes on coworkers computers who were fed up with using other media players. They can barely use computers but they can work iTunes just fine. :shrug:

When I used it, it made me want to kill myself. graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

+1 for the Ipod. I wouldnt buy anything else. You can get a 4gb (1000+ songs) for $199, a 6gb (1500) for $249, and a 20gb (5000) is $299. SO they have become a lot cheaper.

When you buy one, buy it from apple.com, and go to the education page and say you go to OSU or something.. you get $20-30 off and theres no verification at all. http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-5009/WebObjects/EducationIndividual.woa/71105/wo/C85nBdnZlnMk28XCTe6XoGefNJg/3.0.11.1.0.6.15.0.1.1.3.0.3.1.0.1.1.0 $269 here

-scott