computer question

supldys

Im running windows 2000, and everytime i restart I have to redo my display settings, it wont save them.

My monitor and video card are both detected by windows and have updated drivers and all that jazz, no conflicts or anything of the sort.

Computer hasnt done anything else weird but that, is there something im overlooking?

Not that I can think of unless there's something wrong with your hardware profile. could be a virus screwing with you. W2K is usually pretty reliable. Have you downloaded the latest drivers for your vid card.

Evan

My brother had that problem on his PC. Are you using MSN messenger? He had it installed (newest version) and with what his video card was (old Stealth 8 mb agp). Very time MSN loaded, it dumped it back to 16 colors, etc. Uninstalled messenger, worked fine. I don't think we ever fixed it other than to re-do the settings each time... or get a new video card.

Is windows detecting new hardware every time you boot or is it just putting your settings back to 16 colors?

boot your PC up in safe mode, then right click on my computer, go to properties, then click on device manager... make sure that your view is set to display all devices..... then go to your display tab, hit the "+" button.... delete all of the video devices that are listed... (you quite possibly have multiple versions of your video card install) then do the same thing for monitor... look to see if there are multiple copies of the same monitor in there... or anything other than your monitor... delete them if you see them.... reboot, see what happens...

Please have in mind, this is ONLY if you are getting windows found new hardware when you start up windows.

if it is just defaulting back, several things could be happening,

1.) you might not have rights to the PC (IE: you aren't an administrator to the machine)

2.) a system or group policy is in place to not allow you to either save your changes, or to default your display settings to 16 colors...

as far as GPO or SPO, you will have to go into your Microsoft Managment Console and modify them... (it's too much to explain this early on a saturday morning tongue.gif )

Verify that you are an administrator to the machine.

There are registry settings that you can make that will change your default resolution as well as color scheme, but I am not going to provide them because if you do not know where to find this out, you really shouldn't be editing your registry.. (no, I'm not being a dick.... if you do something wrong in there... bye bye OS, hello re-install :( )

Give me more info on your problem and I will try to help you further.

Originally posted by Peekachoo:

Is windows detecting new hardware every time you boot or is it just putting your settings back to 16 colors?

boot your PC up in safe mode, then right click on my computer, go to properties, then click on device manager... make sure that your view is set to display all devices..... then go to your display tab, hit the "+" button.... delete all of the video devices that are listed... (you quite possibly have multiple versions of your video card install) then do the same thing for monitor... look to see if there are multiple copies of the same monitor in there... or anything other than your monitor... delete them if you see them.... reboot, see what happens...

Please have in mind, this is ONLY if you are getting windows found new hardware when you start up windows.

if it is just defaulting back, several things could be happening,

1.) you might not have rights to the PC (IE: you aren't an administrator to the machine)

2.) a system or group policy is in place to not allow you to either save your changes, or to default your display settings to 16 colors...

as far as GPO or SPO, you will have to go into your Microsoft Managment Console and modify them... (it's too much to explain this early on a saturday morning tongue.gif )

Verify that you are an administrator to the machine.

There are registry settings that you can make that will change your default resolution as well as color scheme, but I am not going to provide them because if you do not know where to find this out, you really shouldn't be editing your registry.. (no, I'm not being a dick.... if you do something wrong in there... bye bye OS, hello re-install :( )

Give me more info on your problem and I will try to help you further.

Registry Schmegistry..

Soo overrated.

Just delete anything starting with HKEY!

tongue.gif