Old currency in circulation

Science Abuse

When I was 17 and working in a drug store back in the early 90's, it was a Saturday morning and an older, foreign couple came in to buy a paper. At the time, the Saturday paper in upstate New York was 35 cents, so the man kinda tossed the 35 cents onto the counter. I have always kinda been into coins and such and I knew the sound right away; it was not "regular" money. Whatever he threw up there was silver. I put it in the register, trying not to show my excitement. When the line of customers was gone, I pulled the change back out and gave it a look: It was a Mercury head dime and a pre '65 quarter, which are both silver. Not worth a ton of cash, but definitely something cool. I kinda figured the story to be like this: Perhaps many, many years ago, one of couple had been to the U.S., spent some time there, took some money back with them, and kept it. So when they made it back many years later, they took that money with them. Of course, by this time, it's money not normally used in circulation. Regardless, I traded it out with change in my pocket and still have it today... smile.gif

I've got a fair sized collection of oddball stuff. Lots of Bicentennial quarters and halves, bunchs of wheats and silver coins, and plenty of over-seas coins. But I really collect Eisenhower dollars hard-core.

The oldest thing from the US I have is a penny from 1884. The oldest bill is a Confederate $20 note. And my oldest piece is a Roman coin from about 45BC.

when i was about 5 i was riding my bike down the side walk and the city had just installed a new telephone pole, well in the fresh dirt around the pole something was oddly shaped and different looking then the dirt,... i hopped off and looked, and picked up what turned out to be a 1901 indian head penny in damn near perfect shape ( had dirt coloring and some build up on it) but it could be cleaned, i priced it about 5 years ago, and it could range anywhere from 200-4500 dollars,... unfornately when i moved from my old house to my new house, somewhere in the transition my coins were "misplaced", and i have never been able to find it again... **rangerturbo kicks his own nuts**

when a great aunt of mine died the family asked me to do the lifting of her stuff outside for an auction and clean up, when i was done i just told them to not worry about paying me, so they gave me some old coins they found that they were going to auction off, well i guess her husband was in either ww1 or ww2 i forget which one, but he had brought a shit ton of coins from europe, well they gave me a little bit of them and my grandmother surprised me for christmas with the rest, now i was just wondering if anyone around here could see what they are, cause they all are fairly old, the oldest one is from the late 1700's and there is also one with hitler on it, i wouldn't mind just getting them checked out to see what is what, i even have this huge bill that says 10,000 marks on it, but i doubt it is in print anymore