Wines....I know nothing about them, any info/guideance??

Nitrousbird

When it comes to beer I like (and consume very regularly :D ), I'm good. Same for shots/mixed drinks....I have my favorites and am comfortable with my choices and what new stuff to try.

But with wine, I am at a complete loss. No one I hang with drinks wine, and my experience with it goes about as far as some cheap White Zinfendale (sp?).

Anyone have a good VERY BASIC overview of wine. Also, what are some good low to lower priced wines. A former co-worker of mine at Lucent went to a couple wine tasting things put on by Kroger (or was it Meijer) that let you get to sample the lower priced stuff to see what was good, and what wasn't. How do you get to do something like that??

I don't plan on becoming a wine-o. I laugh at the guys at clubs buying wine for their chicks (can you say high maintance?), or those people that only drink wine. But knowing what to order at a nice restaurant would be good to know.

Guest busteryhyman

yellowtail Shiraz is a good wine and its only around 7-8 per bottle

the burgundy room in the short north, they do wine tastings. i believe on tuesdays. it's a small restaurant which focuses on different types of wines and european food

You have asked a more complex question that you realize. Knowing wine is not about what vintner's (brand name)is is good, or what varietal (type of grape or wine) is good.

The most important thing to know about wine is what tastes good to you, not how expensive it is. A $100 bottle of wine is no better than a $10 bottle if you don't like it. For example, If you were to offer me a $150 bottle of Dom Perignon or a $14 bottle of Asti, at no charge, I'd take the Asti because I dislike Dom as it is so dry, it sucks all of the moisture out of my mouth.

Now you need to identify a few things about your date/spouse/self: Do you like sweet, dry, fruity, soft, bold, spicy, etc...

Then about the intended use: With dinner, as a cocktail, in the parking lot before a concert....

Lets learn some varietals:

Chardonnay: white, dry to semi-dry, slightly rich to rich, oaky, buttery. Great cocktail and with most foods

Pinot Grigio: white, dry, soft, Great cocktail or with lightly seasoned foods.

Sauvignon Blanc: white, dry to semi-dry, medium to soft, Great cocktail or with lightly seasoned foods.

White Zinfandel: pink, semi sweet, medium body, flowery. Great cocktail or with light fair like salad or fish.

Riesling: white, sweet to semi sweet, medium body, flowery. Great cocktail or with light fair like salad or fish.

Merlot: red, slightly dry, fruity, medium body. Great cocktail and with most foods

Pinot Noir: red, slightly dry, fruity and slightly spicy, medium body. Great cocktail and with most foods

Shiraz: red, slightly dry, fruity, medium body. Good cocktail and with most foods

Zinfandel: red, dry, medium to rich body, peppery. Best with bold foods.

Cabernet Sauvignon: red, dry, rich body, bold. Good Cocktail and with most foods. Best with a huge steak!

With the following in mind, now you realize what a daunting task wine selection can be. Go to any wine shop and ask about tastings. they are realively cheap, you will learn a lot, and they actually are fun.

I would highly suggest, that when in a restaurant or wine shop, to use the propreter's or waiter's knowledge in this way. Tell them what you like in simple terms, and let them make suggestions. Let the price be the last thing you consider.

Hope you can comprehend the banterings of a retired sommelier?

My current favorite wine is Liberty School Chardonnay. This is a rich chardonnay that has strong citrus overtones that fade to a buttery finish. Absolutely spectacular for only $14.99 a bottle, if you can find it.

[ 14. January 2005, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Rotarded ]

With my limited experience, I'd say I would like semi-dry, light to medium body, sweet or spicy.

Now in drinking terms, I am a fan of both sweet and sour drinks (I love whiskey sours), don't mind a non-light beer (but can't handle German beers or the like), and don't mind stuff with an aftertaste, as long as the taste is decent.

I forgot one other wine I've had. My grandparents have grape vines; their neighbors use the grapes and make wine with them.....very good tasting wine, which defiantely has some kick to it.

I had some Sutter Home White Zinfendale last night; it was onsale and I figured I'd have some w/ the g/f. It tasted really watery, but had a decent aftertaste....I have a feeling it was because of the cheap brand of wine rather than White Zindendales in general.

Michael, can you name a couple other $10-$15 dollar wines for me to try? Preferably at least one that's fairly sweet for the g/f, then something a little more towards my tastes. smile.gif (Perhaps a suggestion for a Merlot, White Zinfandale, and Sauvignon Blanc).

Right now, I'm looking more for something to have at home w/ dinner, or watching movies at home w/ the g/f. Then kinda go from there. smile.gif

2001 Bogle Vineyards Merlot California $9.99

Blackstone Winery Merlot California $8.99

2003 Hogue Cellars White Riesling Late Harvest Columbia Valley $11.99

2003 Yalumba Winery Riesling Y Series South Australia $9.99

NV Domaine Ste. Michelle Blanc de Blanc Columbia Valley $11.99

2002 Hogue Cellars Fume (Sauvignon) Blanc Columbia Valley $8.99

White Zinfandel is the ZIMA of the wine world. but you might try this one from a very respected winery:

De Loach Vineyards White Zinfandel $8.99

Originally posted by Rotarded:

White Zinfandel is the ZIMA of the wine world.

But the first time I got drunk it was on Zima. :D Man I used to drink that stuff like it was water, before beer took over. smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. Can those be purchased anywhere, or do only certain stores carry them??

You can probably find the Blackstone at the local Krogers/Meiers. Giant Eagle may carry a few of the others.

If there is a wine specialty shop near you, you will probably have better luck and can talk to a knowledgeable person.

I only know of 5 "wine" shops, none are near Reynoldsburg. One on Sunbury just N. of 161 on the side of the now closed sports bar, one just north of N. Broadway on 4th. one a the Lane Ave Mall, one in G Grandview near 5th and North Star, and in the Target center on Sawmill just south of 161.

Originally posted by Venomss:

Mike = Renaissance Man.

Impressive. graemlins/thumb.gif

+1 Couldn't have said it better myself.

wang of fury... The general key to remember what wine goes best with what kind of meal is... red goes best with pasta, and white goes best with meat (or so I've been told).

However, try a few small bottles of wine to see what you like. You will develop a taste and see that alot of red/white wines are versatile with meals.

One of my personal fav's is Reisling. Krogers actually sells them in small wine bottles (pack of 4). smile.gif

You should go to The Anderson's General Store by Sawmill, they have a great wine selection and they are very knowledgable about their wine, and they have a ton, you could also ask them about wine tastings too as they do those and often have the wine maker people come and tell about their wines. I like cabernets the best, they are a red wine, dry and very good. My favorite cab is Robert Pecota Kara's Cabernet, but I'm partial to that because I used to live on that winery with my mom and Robert Pecota in CA, but it is very good and they have it at the Andersons, I think.

i really don't like wine, most are too dry and bitter for my tastes...but there are a couple that are very swwet, almost like drinking fruit juice.

Columbia Winery Reisling - around $10, very sweet, citrus, floral

Moscato D'Asti - which is actually a 'type' of wine, it's very little known, yet all of the wines are very sweet, a good one is called "Bug Juice"